Off-Screen Events: Akari is Born

Not every kid is happy when they learn that they will be gaining a sibling, but Ace has been ecstatic since his mother told him that he had a sibling on the way. He's been locked up in their house since he was born due to the blood of his father that flows through his veins, so he is excited for a companion to pass these cruel days. He'll have someone to look after and teach about the life that they have to live. As long as those in the hospital don't give him and his mother away to the marines.

"Ace, my precious boy," Portgas D. Rouge softly calls out from her place in the hospital bed. "I think your little sister might be coming to join the world soon."

He giggles, leaning into the side of the bed. "You don't know it is going to be a girl."

"I've had a strong feeling that she will be for a while now, and a mother knows best," she reaches out to pat his head. "Could you go get the doctor for me?"

"Of course," he widely smiles, standing up and rushing out of the room.

Rouge takes a deep breath as the pain shoots through her abdomen. She was lucky to get through her first pregnancy after holding in Ace past the typical nine months. Her body was severely weakened after that birth, but she knew that another fire would bloom within her before she would pass from this realm. A little girl that she would protect in the best way she knows how.

"Rouge are you alright?" the doctor asks as he walks in with a midwife and Ace.

"If giving birth is deemed alright," she lightly jokes.

"Can I help?" Ace bounces around on his toes.

"You'll be right by my side the whole time, sound good?" the midwife grins at the young boy.

"Good," he firmly nods, looking too serious for a boy his age.

"You're going to be the best big brother," Rouge happily sighs, settling back into the pillows. "I know you'll protect her through everything. From all the bad people who will want to harm her."

"We'll both be tough, and I'll make sure to keep her in my sight at all times."

"Please rest for a little Rouge," the doctor grabs the woman's wrist to check her pulse. "You might be in for a long labor if Ace's is any way to judge."

"Come with me," the midwife motions for Ace to follow her over to the sink to prepare wet cloths. "You'll be the stand-in for your father today, so you have to be brave no matter what happens, okay?"

"I'm always brave," he puffs out his chest. "My mom says that's because of who my father was, but I think I get it more from her."

"Oh, I'm sure you do," she ruffles his pitch-black hair.

The next couple of hours go by in a blur as Ace helps the midwife with whatever tasks to help Rouge be as comfortable as possible as she goes into labor. This time around is a lot different than it was with Ace, as the little girl is a lot smaller and ready to greet the world. Her blue tuff of hair makes her stand out in the room, and the quiet cries is a big difference from the loud cries of her older brother. In the eyes of Rouge, she is the most perfect little girl she's ever laid eyes on.

"Would you like to meet your little sister, Ace?" Rouge weakly says once the newborn has fallen asleep. "She would love to meet her big brother."

Ace looks to the midwife for permission, getting a nod from her as she takes the dirty cloths from his hands. Then he is rushing to his mother's bedside, hoisting himself up to sit right next to his mother and baby sister. "What's her name?"