viii. ouroboros

" We all lost the bet, by the way

»»———-  ———-««

Asher and Malia followed behind Scott through the woods. They were headed to Lookout Point, the spot that looked over the entire city, just for the alpha to roar for his beta to hear.

The boy was a bit ahead of them, way more determined than they were. Malia and Asher cared for Liam, of course, but the connection between him and Scott were stronger.

As they finally pushed through some more brush, both girls slowed to a stop at the sound of Scott's roar.

Asher looked at Malia and knew she could feel it as well as hear it, unlike her since she wasn't in the pack. The werecoyote looked in a different direction than where they were headed. She nodded to Asher and the two were off again.

They ran up to find Scott on the ground with heavy breathing. His eyes were wide with worry.

"There's no scent." Scott said. "No tracks. No way to find them."

"But Liam can howl back, right?" Malia countered.

Asher, ever the pessimist, sighed. "Only if he heard it."

--------------------

"Sorry, I'm only on chapter two..." Corey, who sat on the bed in Scott's room, said to the three in there with him. "I'm kind of a slow reader."

Everyone was meeting at Scott's house to try and figure something out.

"Oh, that's okay, Corey." Mason replied, a small smile on his face.

Asher shrugged from where she stood in between Mason and Lydia.

"He's right. We don't have time for that anyway." Scott rushed into the room, his pace not faltering as he headed for Corey.

Lydia stepped forward once she realized what had Scott so motivated. "No, Scott, don't!"

Yet it was too late, as Scott had already stuck his claws in the back of Corey's neck. The boy gasped with his head tilting back. He couldn't move and neither could Scott.