iiii. frayed

"Back to your seat!" Coach Finstock yells, blowing his whistle

The guy he yelled at rolled his eyes and walked back to his seat. Asher looks over at her brother beside her. She catches him already looking at her with a look of sympathy.

"I'm okay." She mouthed to him, sending Ethan a small smile.

He just grabs her hand and squeeze's it. The girl squeeze's it back before un-attaching her hand from his.

"Stop thinking about it, man." Isaac says from further up the bus, making Asher look towards him and Boyd.

"What, you're not thinking about it, too?" Boyd retorts, looking at the boy next to him.

"We'll both stop thinking about it." Isaac proposes.

"I can't." Boyd says.

You and me both, Asher thinks. Though they probably have different reasons. The Lewis girl sighed, leaning her head back against the seat before bringing her phone up to her face, checking her notifications.

"Goddamn it." Asher groans after seeing no messages.

"Well, there's nothing you can do about it either." Isaac said to his friend.

The boys look at each other. "You sure about that?" Boyd replies.

The boy looks back slightly, seeing both Asher and Ethan checking their phones. After seeing nothing, Ethan looks across the aisle to talk to Danny while Asher runs her hand down her face.

"Everything okay?" Danny asks the boy across from him.

"Yeah." Ethan assures. "Why?"

"You checked your phone three times in the last five minutes." Danny says. "And, Asher over there, checked hers like twenty." He looks over at the girl.

Asher looks up at the sound of her name. "Hmm?" She asks, not paying the two any mind.

"You okay?" Danny asks her, tilting his head.

"Me? Yeah, everything's just peachy." She says in a sarcastic tone. Asher turns her head towards the window, her leg shaking and heart racing slightly.

"I'm just waiting for a message." Ethan answers Danny.

"Anything important?" Danny asks, smiling.

"No." Ethan replies, smiling too. "Nothing." His smiling faltering.

Asher shakes her head, scoffing quietly. The girl checks her phone again, hoping a text will come through. She put her phone back in her lap once she saw there were no messages. Asher leans her head on Ethan's shoulder, letting out a sigh.

"He'll be okay, right?" She whispers to her brother, looking up and into his eyes.

Ethan looks down at her and puts his arm around her shoulder, pulling her in closer. "I don't know, Ash. I hope so." He sighs and leans his head on top of hers.