vii. letharia vulpina

Derek, Scott, and Asher rushed out of the hospital and towards the crowd

Derek, Scott, and Asher rushed out of the hospital and towards the crowd. Just before any of them could run any closer, Derek held his arms out and they inched away from the water.

Asher's eyes weren't on the water, though, they were on Kira. She was the only that touched the liquid and didn't get electrocuted. Asher knew what a Kitsune was, sure, but didn't know what kind her friend was. She was getting an idea now, though.

Kira reached out and snatched the open wire out of the air. It struggled against her hold, but Kira didn't let go. It eventually calmed down and Kira slowly grabbed the sparking part of the wire, covering it with her palm.

Asher's head tilted slightly, intrigued. Electricity crackled all around them and lights flickered.

Kira looked up, out into the crowd. And her eyes were glowing a bright orange.

The lion looked over at Scott to see him staring at Kira. He seemed to be concerned.

After a moment her eyes faded away and went back to normal brown.

People suddenly came running out of the hospital, making all kinds of commotion. Kira dropped the wire, letting out a few breaths.

Then Asher's eyes landed on someone else. "Derek..." She could barely get her words out.

Derek looked at her before following her gaze to see Isaac laying on his side. He was convulsing ever so slightly. Derek quickly ran over to him, crouching down.

"Isaac?" Derek held him. "He's not breathing. Scott, he's not breathing!"

Asher put a hand over her mouth in shock. She was frozen in place. She wanted to do something, but she didn't know what. All she could do was listen to the noises around her. Yelling. Gasps. Heavy breathing. Derek's pained voice. Kira's panicked heartbeat. Allison's worried crying. And her own thoughts in her head.

"Asher." She heard Allison's voice beside her.

Asher moved to face her. "Hmm?"

"Come on..." Allison grabbed her hand and led her inside.

They were going to see Isaac off.

"Okay."

--------------------

Asher woke up on the couch next morning. She couldn't be bothered the go upstairs. She groggily sat up. Looking down, she noticed that she was wearing the same clothes from yesterday.

Asher pushed herself to her feet and stretched. "Hey, Do-" She went to call out. But then she remembered he wasn't there.

The girl sighed and went upstairs to get dressed. She actually did call out of work yesterday, so she definitely has to go in today.