vii. maid of gevaudan

" I really only liked Alli

" I really only liked Alli. "

»»———-  ———-««

The trio reluctantly listened to what Gerard had to say. He told them about the first appearance of the Beast and the lady who killed it: Marie-Jeanne or The Maid of Gevaudan. When he finished his explanation, the old man slid a book across the table towards them.

"Maybe someone should resurrect her." Jordan remarked.

He turned on his heel and started towards the exit.

Chris sighed and dipped his head in disappointment while Asher huffed in annoyance. Lydia looked towards Jordan.

"Don't leave," the redhead says.

The HellHound turns back around. "My dreams aren't like yours, Lydia. I'm not just a harbinger of death. I'm the cause of it."

"Oh, who gives a shit?" Asher snaps.

Jordan pauses.

"Look, no one fucking cares, Jordan, all right? We need your help to save this stupid town, so whatever fantasies your HellHound side is having, don't really matter. You're not a killer, so stop acting like you just crossed us all off and now you're heading out to kill the rest of the pack. It's stupid." Asher tells him. "Maybe the HellHound is a little crazy, but that isn't on you."

He shakes his head. "I can't help you with that. Leaving is how I can help."

With that last word, Jordan starts to leave.

"You bitch-" Asher scoffs and goes to follow him, Lydia on her trail.

"Let him go." Gerard stops them.

Asher turns around so quickly it slightly startles the other three in the room. Her glare is set on Gerard as if she's about to snap his neck, which is why Lydia grabs her shoulder. However, the banshee is glaring at the man just as hard as Asher.

"Why?" Lydia asks.

"Because as much as we believe Parrish could take on the Beast..." Chris rounds the table to stand in front of the girls, "neither of think he's our only hope at stopping it."

Asher's glare drops to a confused expression. "What does that mean?"

"We think there's another." Chris says.