Chapter Twenty Nine

The routine had become like second nature to Darcy

The routine had become like second nature to Darcy. She would wake up early and go to Jeremy's to get Ava ready for school. Once Ava was ready, she would bring the little girl to school, then she'd go back to Jeremy's to help with whatever he needed. Since his arm was still broken, it had only been three weeks since he broke it, Darcy didn't expect him to be able to do too much on his own.

Everyday she'd do a load of laundry, sometimes more depending on if she decided to wash bedding or not. She washed bedding often, mostly because she knew how sweaty Jeremy would get outside and sometimes he lay down before getting the sweat off of himself. While clothes were washing, she would go through each room and sweep or vacuum, then every other day she would mop the floors as well. She didn't shampoo the carpets too often, since they took so long to dry. Luckily, the only two rooms with carpet were Ava's room and the guest room.

Darcy would also wash dishes and make lunch for Jeremy and his ranch hands. She'd often make them dinner as well, even when Jeremy claimed they didn't need it. Each day at two, she'd go pick up Ava, then she'd bring her home and get her settled. Ava would do her homework and eat a snack, then she'd be allowed to play outside with the pups, as long as she didn't get in anyone's way.

At five, Darcy would make everyone dinner, then she'd make some type of dessert. After everyone ate, Darcy would set up a movie for Ava, or some random cartoon, then she'd go to the kitchen and clean up for the night. Around eight or eight thirty, depending on how tired Ava was, Darcy would get Ava ready for bed.

Ava's bedtime routine consisted of a nice bath or shower, then brushing her teeth, while Darcy fixed her hair. Most nights, Darcy would put Ava's hair into little braids or pigtails, so it'd be easier for her to manage in the morning. At nine, sometimes earlier, Jeremy would come in for the night and go straight to his bathroom for a shower, before sitting down on the couch for a bit to relax.

Darcy often sat and watched TV for about an hour with Jeremy, though they never really had much of an interaction while doing so, before she'd head home to get ready for bed herself. It was an everyday routine, except for weekends, and Darcy was pretty used to it. She never once complained, even when she felt a little overwhelmed at times.

Like Jeremy had claimed he was going to do, he began to teach Charlie how to work outside with him. Charlie was a goofy pup when he wanted to be, but he was a good listener, and according to Jeremy, he was a hard worker. Charlie was learning almost as fast as he was growing, and Darcy couldn't be more proud. Charlie was a ranch dog, and Bruce was a guard dog, it worked out well.

Anyhow, there was only a week until Halloween, and Darcy had already picked out her costume. Well, technically it was the same costume she wore last year, but Ava didn't have to know that. Darcy had went out trick-or-treating with her nieces, and this year she was going with Ava. Jeremy had asked her to do so, since he didn't want everyone to see his broken arm. He hated the attention, and Darcy completely understood.

Darcy's favorite holiday was Halloween, so of course she'd agree to taking Ava out trick-or-treating. Matter of fact, she had taken the girl out to get her costume only a week ago, and Ava was more than excited to get all the candy. Darcy wasn't sure how well the people gave out candy in Radio, but she remembered how much her nieces would get back home. She hoped it was similar in Radio, otherwise she'd have to get creative.

Darcy loved Radio, don't think otherwise, but some things were very different from her home. For example, there wasn't constant noises of traffic, nor was there fast food restaurants around every corner. In Radio, she'd hear more nature sounds, and she'd have an easier time finding a farmer's market. Honestly, it was pretty different, but she loved it.

Well, some people would think she loved it because of the nature and things like that, while others would believe that she liked Radio because of all the good looking cowboys. Yes, there were a few good looking cowboys in Radio, but none of them were as handsome as Jeremy Renner. She knew she'd never have a chance with him though, so she pretty much gave up the dream and idea of marrying a cowboy.

She wouldn't lie to anyone, other than Jeremy and his guy friends, but she still had a thing for Jeremy. Even though he was a complete ass to her for so long, and had been rude on multiple occasions, she still seemed to fancy him. He had a nice smile—when he chose to smile—and he was such a good father to his little girl. What woman wouldn't want a man like that?

He was hard working, good looking, and didn't care what anyone thought about him. He was perfect, at least, to an extent, and Darcy really liked him. She just knew that he wasn't looking for a relationship, and she knew he really didn't like her much. Yes, she was helping him with Ava, and yes, she helped him a lot once he broke his arm, but she could still remember everything he'd said to her before.

He might not have meant it, not that'd she'd truly know that,  but he still said it. He was rude, but he seemed to have a heart of gold. He was stand-offish, but he was a great father. He was closed off, but he worked hard for what he wanted. There was so many good qualities and such that outweighed the bad, but Darcy doubted her opinion even really mattered...