Chapter Forty One

Christmas had come, and Darcy was nervous

Christmas had come, and Darcy was nervous. She had loaded all the gifts into her SUV the night before, just so she wouldn't forget any that morning. Then after she got dressed up, she put the few pies she made into the front seat. Luckily, she had gotten Jeremy to keep the pups for the night, since it turned out she had way more gifts than she had anticipated.

Once everything was loaded and ready, Darcy drove straight over to the ranch. She wanted to be there as early as possible, so she would be able to give Ava and Jeremy all their gifts before their family arrived. She didn't want the other kids to see Ava get all kinds of gifts from her and her family, only for them to get one or two each.

The moment she pulled into the driveway of the ranch, Jeremy opened the front door and came out. He knew she had a lot of gifts, and he wanted to help her unload them, as well as the pies. She and Jeremy ended up making quite a few trips before they had gotten everything into the house. Almost the entire floor in the living room was full of gifts.

"Let me separate them, while you put the pies away." Darcy commented, and Jeremy nodded.

Darcy put all the gifts for Jeremy's family near the tree, before she separated the stuff for Jeremy and Ava, then separated them between gifts from her and gifts from her family. While Darcy was separating gifts, Jeremy went over to the tree and grabbed the gifts from him and Ava for Darcy.

"Oh wow," Jeremy murmured,"Ava has a lot of gifts." He said, and Darcy chuckled nervously.

"Yeah," She smiled,"I may have went a little overboard, then my family went out and bought her gifts, too." She commented, making him smile.

He liked seeing how nice her family was towards Ava. They accepted her as their family, and when he seen all the gifts from her family to him, he believed that they accepted him as family, too. He didn't want to jump to conclusions, of course, but he really felt accepted by them.

Jeremy, Ava, and Darcy were all happy with the gifts they recieved, and Ava could barely choose which gift she wanted to take out of its box and open it.

"Ava," Jeremy called,"Grandma and everyone is almost here." He said, and Ava giggled.

Darcy began to feel nervous once again, and it just seemed to get worse when she heard the closing of car doors outside of the house. Jeremy greeted his family at the door, and Ava practically screamed as she ran to the door to see her family. Once they had gotten inside, Jeremy went over to Darcy and grabbed her hand to bring her over to introduce her to his family.

"Guys, this is my girlfriend, Darcy Pierce," Jeremy began,"Darcy, this is my Mom, Valerie, my sisters, Nicky and Kym, and my brothers Kyle and Clayton. The kids already ran off, but I'll introduce ya t' 'em later." He said, and Darcy smiled.

"I bought you guys some gifts." Darcy commented, causing his family to smile.

"Ya didn't have t' do that, dear." Valerie said, but Darcy simply waved it off.

"I wanted to, believe me." She replied, going over to the tree to grab the gifts for them.

"Well, I guess it's a good thing ya bought us stuff, 'cause we got ya stuff, too." Kym commented, making Darcy smile again.

The group opened gifts and smiles came to their faces. Everyone was happy with what they recieved, even the kids, though they seemed to run off again the moment their gifts were opened. Charlie and Bruce followed close after them.

Darcy went to the kitchen to help Jeremy cook, as did his sisters and Mom, while the brothers stayed in the living room and watched TV. His sisters seemed to watch Darcy like a hawk for a long time, trying to see if she would mess up or say something rude, but they were pleasantly surprised when she was beyond polite, sweet, and understanding with Jeremy and Ava.

"So, what is it that ya do?" Kyle asked, causing Darcy to smile with amusement.

"I use to own a small business that made designs and such on shirts, pants, bags, and stuff like that. I sold the small business though, when it became a little too much, and at the same time, I became Ava's nanny, so it just worked out well for me, I guess." Darcy replied, and his brother nodded.

"Are you still the nanny, or are you the step-mom?" Nicky asked, causing Darcy to freeze.

"Nicky!" Jeremy exclaimed, making his sister roll her eyes.

"I'm just sayin'. Look, if y'all are happy together, I think maybe instead of bein' the nanny, she should just be the step-mom." Nicky replied, causing Jeremy to sigh.

"I think she's right, Jeremy. Honestly, just watchin' her with Ava proves she's a good mom. I think you guys should take that step." Valerie said, and Jeremy nodded.

"You're right," Jeremy murmured, turning to his girlfriend,"Darcy, you're fired." He said, causing her eyes to go wide.

"I-I don't--" She began, but Jeremy cut her off.

"Ya can't be a nanny, if you're my girlfriend, and we both know Ava really likes ya. I think maybe it's time ya start workin' with the role of mom a little bit?" He suggested, causing Darcy to bite her lip.

Darcy wasn't sure how well it would work out, but she agreed, especially since all the eyes were on her. Besides, she loved Ava like the little girl was her own already anyway, so why should she think any different when it came to being her mother? She decided that maybe it was best that she tried to be more than just the nanny, at least, it'd definitely benefit Ava a lot...