Chapter Twenty Seven

Darcy was awake by seven the next morning. She practically jumped out of bed, and she went straight to the laundry room to grab her clothes. She pulled them on, then through the shirt she wore to sleep into the washer. She then grabbed the rest of the clothes out of the dryer, folded them up, and put them away. Once she was finished, she went up to the bathroom and closed the door.

She wasn't a very snoopy person, but she needed a toothbrush. When she didn't find one, she decided that she'd have to borrow Jeremy's mouth wash. She poured a little into her mouth and swished it around, as she quickly used the bathroom. Once she was done, she spit the mouthwash into the sink, rinsed her mouth with water, then left the bathroom. 

Darcy didn't hear Jeremy or Ava while she walked around, so she went to Jeremy's room and smiled when she seen they were both still asleep, as were the pups. The girl decided to go down to the kitchen and make a nice breakfast, as well as get out some medicine incase Ava wasn't feeling any better. As she was setting out ingredients and getting the coffee pot started, she heard a knock at the front door.

She contemplated going to get Jeremy for his visitor, but she didn't want to wake him up. So, she decided to walk over to the front door and answer it. She didn't know who it was when she answered, but she put a polite smile on her face anyway. She knew how to answer the door for strangers, her parents had taught her well for that.

"Can I help you?" She asked, and the man nodded.

"I'm Sam," The man said,"I'm one of Mr. Renner's ranch hands. I was wonderin' where he was. He ain't been outside yet this mornin'." The man, Sam, informed, causing Darcy to chuckle.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot all about him having to go out and work," She replied,"I'm Darcy, Ava's nanny. Mr. Renner and Ava were up pretty late last night. Ava was throwing up, so they're both still asleep." She said, and Sam nodded again.

"Do you possibly know when he'll be up, Ms. Darcy?" Sam asked, making Darcy sigh quietly.

"I'm not sure," She answered,"but I can go wake him up, if you want me to." She commented, causing the man to frown.

"I really don't wanna bother him if his baby's sick." He replied, and Darcy smiled again.

"I'm taking care of her for him. Don't worry," She said,"Would you like to come in, while I go get him?" She asked, and the man smiled.

"Thank you, ma'am." He answered, as he walked inside.

"Have a seat," She said,"Coffee will be ready shortly. Have you eaten?" She asked, causing the man to shake his head.

"No, ma'am. I happened to get a late start myself this mornin'." He replied, and she nodded.

"Breakfast will be ready soon, too." She commented, before she went upstairs to wake Jeremy.

When she went to his room, she lightly knocked on the door, causing the pups to perk up. When Charlie moved his head from Jeremy's abdomen, the man woke up and yawned. Looking over at the clock, he cursed quietly, and quickly sat up, straining his arm in the process.

"Whoa, slow down," Darcy scolded,"You're going to hurt yourself." She said, making him frown.

"I'm late for work." He commented, and she nodded.

"I know, but don't worry. I got everything handled. Just wake up Ava and get your butts down for breakfast." She stated, before walking away.

Jeremy watched her walk away with a scoff, but did as she said. Jeremy dressed himself, before waking up his little girl. The two headed downstairs to the kitchen for breakfast. When Jeremy seen Sam sitting in the kitchen with a cup of coffee, he sighed quietly.

"Sorry, man. I was up late last night, and--" He began, but Sam cut him off.

"Don't worry, Mr. Renner, Ms. Darcy told me everythin'. I had a late start myself. A few of the guys are handlin' the animals. Nick's finishin' up the roof for ya. I just came to see where ya were, ya normally have us doin' other things by now." Sam said, causing Jeremy to shrug.

"Can't really do much with a broken arm." Jeremy commented, making Sam laugh.

"Maybe not, but you're the boss. You ain't gotta do much anyway if ya don't wanna." He replied, and Jeremy simply rolled his eyes in response.

Moments later, Darcy set a big plate of pancakes down on the table, as well as a bowl of sausage links and some fruit to put on the pancakes.

"I made some of my homemade peanut butter sauce for the pancakes, I hope you don't mind." Darcy commented, causing Jeremy to shake his head.

"I don't mind, Darcy. Ya helped me out a lot last night and this mornin'." He replied, and she simply smiled in reply.

Sam watched the interaction with a little suspicion. Yes, Darcy was Ava's nanny, but that didn't mean Jeremy wasn't attracted to her. Sam had a feeling that the man was at least a little attracted to the lady. He could say he wasn't all he wanted, but Sam would know he was lying.

Darcy was a really pretty girl, and after tasting what she cooked, and seeing how sweet she was to everyone, Sam knew anyone would be lucky to have a woman like Darcy. Sam hoped Jeremy wouldn't turn her down like every other woman that tried to catch his attention. Darcy wasn't trying at all, but she definitely caught Jeremy's attention in some way.

Sam wondered if the girl had a boyfriend. He wondered if maybe she was already married. Honestly, he really hoped she wasn't, but not for himself. He wanted his boss, his friend, to be happy. Jeremy deserved to be happy after all the shit he'd been through in his life, and so did little Ava...