Chapter Nine

A few days had passed since the storm that passed through town

A few days had passed since the storm that passed through town. Darcy had managed to get Chris and Peggy to agree to her giving them money. With Sebastian and Anthony's help, Chris had finished the work on his house in three days. He had to continue the work on his back porch roof on his own, but his friends had helped him with his actual house-cleaning up all water damage and litter from the storm.

Peggy and Darcy had disposed of Darcy's destroyed back patio furniture, as well as putting new furniture out. Sebastian and Chris put in a new window at Darcy's, and Chris also put in the gate for Darcy's front porch. Everything was running smoothly, that was until Darcy's parents showed up. The day after Peggy and Chris moved back into their place, Darcy's parents showed up at her front door. Jack was with them, as was Darcy's nieces.

Riley, Tatum, Michael, and Lori were still in Washington, but they were all busy and had apologized for not coming to see her. Darcy had been greeted with hugs, kisses, and snacks of all kinds. Jack and Pops carried in all of their bags, as Dad walked around the house to try and find anymore damage from the storm.

"I'm surprised you got all your damage cleaned up before we got here." Dad commented, causing Darcy to chuckle.

"It would've been a different story if you guys would've flown here." Darcy replied, making her Pops scoff.

"You know I hate planes. I only take them when I have to." Pops said, and Darcy rolled her eyes.

"I know, I know." She murmured, as her brother shoved her.

"Dude, planes crash." He commented, and scoffed.

"So do cars, but you're still in them all the time." She retorted, making her brother chuckle.

"Whatever, Darce." He snipped jokingly, flicking her forehead.

The moment he flicked her, he seen her eyes narrow. With a grin, he set down his beer, before he took off running. He replied straight out the front door, and Darcy was hot on his heels. Pops simply rolled his eyes, as he watched his children horse around, and his grandchildren run after them.

Once she was close enough, Darcy jumped on Jack's back, which knocked him down to his knees. They both were laughing by then, as the little girls ran over and tackled them. They were all in a fit of laughter, when they heard a bark, and Dodger came running over.

"Dodger!" Darcy exclaimed, as she quickly hugged him when he made it to her side.

"Who's this?" Jack asked, looking over at the dog.

"This is Dodger, he's my neighbors' dog. He comes over and plays with the puppies." She replied, kissing the dog's head.

"Can we play with Dodger, Auntie Darcy?" Emma asked, and Darcy nodded.

"Sure, just get the puppies, so they can get their exercise too." Darcy said, causing the little girls to quickly run off with Dodger.

Jack stood to his feet, brushing off his pants, before he stuck out his hand to help Darcy up off the ground. Once she was standing, she dusted herself off as well, then shoved Jack playfully.

"Darcy!" She heard, causing her to turn around.

Chris came running over, and his eyes held a little bit of worry and curiosity.

"Is Dodger over here?" He asked,"I haven't seen him since I went out back to work on the porch, and Peggy's out getting groceries." He said, making the girl nod.

"Yeah, he's with my nieces and the puppies." She replied, and he sighed in relief.

"Your nieces?" He asked, causing her to smile.

"Yep, they came with my dads and Jack to come visit," She answered,"This is my brother Jack. Jack, this is my neighbor Chris, and you'll probably meet his wife Peggy later." She said, and the two men shook hands.

"I can call Peggy, and we can have a barbecue if ya want. Obviously that includes your family." He commented, and she bit her lip.

Darcy glanced up at her brother, asking silently if that's what he wanted. He shrugged, before giving the two a nod.

"Yeah, let's do that. I'll go out and get some beers and pop. Darcy can make some of her homemade apple pie." Jack said, causing Chris to grin.

"Homemade apple pie?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Hell yeah, she makes only homemade desserts, but her pies are the best. Apple pie is definitely my favorite though." He answered, making the other man nod.

"Yeah, definitely make that, Darce. We can use one, or five, whichever." He commented, causing the girl to laugh.

"I swear, you and Jack are going to be the death of me with this pie." She retorted, and the men laughed.

Chris quickly called his wife, telling her to pick stuff up for a barbecue. Jack went to Darcy's and told their dads what he was doing, before grabbing the keys to Darcy's truck.

"Chris? You feel like riding with?" Jack asked, and Chris shrugged.

"Couldn't hurt, I just finished workin' on the porch anyway." He replied, causing Jack to smile.

"You got the girls and the dogs, right?" Jack asked Darcy, and she nodded.

"I got them, and I've always got Dad and Pops if I need something." She answered, before the two men left.

She went to her porch and sat down on the steps, as she watched the dogs run around with her nieces. She was happy to know that her brother seemed to like Chris and hopefully Peggy as well. She hoped her dads would like them, and she hoped one day her sisters, brother, and sister-in-law met her friends as well. She wasn't sure when it would be, but she really hoped they all met. She had a feeling her friends would be in her life for a long time. She just didn't know exactly how long or to what extent they would be around...