Chapter Twenty Five

For lunch, Darcy made grilled cheese and tomato soup, since it'd be easier for Jeremy to eat. She wondered what he was going to do for himself and Ava, when he got home and had to cook for her and himself. To be honest, she wanted to send home pre-made meals that Jeremy could just slip into the microwave for them to make it easier.

After lunch, Darcy and Ava went swimming, as Jeremy sat on one of the outside chairs and watched them swim. The pups ran back and forth between the pool and Jeremy. Bruce wanted to hang out with Jeremy more, since Jeremy was a new person for him to meet and playwith. Charlie didn't care about anything, as long as he was having fun.

Jeremy ended up falling asleep in the chair with Bruce in his lap. Darcy had pulled the umbrella out, so Jeremy wouldn't sit and burn in the direct sunlight. From the light breeze, the shade, and the lack of pain in his arm, Jeremy was able to fall asleep. Darcy and Ava played in the water for about an hour after he fell asleep, before they got out and woke up Jeremy.

"You want to pick out the movie for tonight?" Darcy asked, looking over at Jeremy,"Find something on Prime, and I'll rent it." She commented, and he nodded.

"Can I help make dinner, Darcy?" Ava asked, and Darcy nodded.

"Just go wash your hands." Darcy replied, causing the little girl to quickly run off.

Once Ava had clean hands, she ran into the kitchen to help Darcy. She and Darcy made a few different things for dinner; chicken strips, fries, pigs in a blanket, and cheese dip to go with chips. By the time Ava and Darcy were finished cooking, Jeremy had finally picked out a movie. He had to pick something that Ava could watch too, since she was a little girl and couldn't watch a lot of movies yet.

"Dinner is ready." Darcy commented, as she patted the couch near Jeremy's head.

Jeremy carefully stood up from his spot, and walked over to the bar to sit next to Ava. He, Ava, and Darcy ate their dinner and made small talk. Ava talked quite a bit about how much she helped make dinner.

"I have a special idea for dessert tonight to go with the movie." Darcy commented, causing Ava's eyes to go wide.

"What is it?" She asked, her voice full of excitement.

"It's a secret. You've got to wait until dessert to find out." Darcy replied, and Ava groaned dramatically.

"Oh, Ava, you're so dramatic." Jeremy joked, causing his daughter to laugh.

"Are we stayin' again tonight?" Ava asked, looking over at her father.

"No, we're goin' home. I gotta work tomorrow, Ava." Jeremy replied, making the girl frown.

"I liked the sleepover." Ava pouted, causing Jeremy to frown.

"If you act out, you won't be havin' anymore sleepovers here, Ava Renner." Jeremy said, and Ava simply sighed and went quiet.

"Mr. Renner, could you and I possibly talk before the movie?" Darcy asked,"It's about something Ava said to me." She commented, making him nod.

After they finished eating, Ava went to the sink to wash her hands, before she sat in the living room to watch cartoons and sulk. She hated when her father scolded her, even when it was a light scolding. Darcy lead Jeremy to her mini library and had him sit down to keep him from hurting himself if he got upset.

"The other day, Ava and I were talking, and I asked her if you'd want to come over for dinner, and I'd be inviting Peggy and Chris as well, since I had sold my business and wanted to celebrate," She rambled,"Anyway, Ava said you were always busy, and that she really missed you."

"I'm lost." He replied, shaking his head slightly.

"You're busy all the time, and Ava misses spending time with you." Darcy said, making Jeremy frown.

"I have to work, Darcy. I can't just sell my business and get thousands like you can. All I have is my farm, and that's how I provide for my family." He snapped, making the woman sigh.

"I was going to suggest you trying to figure out a way to spend more time with her, like taking time off on weekends, or hiring another ranch hand, or--" She suggested, but he cut her off.

"You could come work at the ranch with Ava." He said, causing her eyebrows to furrow.

"Like a nanny?" She asked, and he shrugged.

"Yeah, I guess." He answered, making her bite her lip.

"I'd have to think about it. I mean, I'd have to find a place that'd watch my dogs." She replied, and he nodded.

"You could bring 'em with you. Charlie might be a good help on the ranch." Jeremy commented, making her chuckle.

"Good luck with that," She murmured,"and I guess we'll just have to see how it works out." She added, and he nodded.

"You can start next week." He replied, before he stood and headed out of the room.

Once he was sitting with Ava, Darcy began to get the dessert ready. Once she had everything together, she grabbed a couple towels and carried the dessert out to Ava and Jeremy. Ava's eyes lit up and she squealed when she seen the dessert that was placed in front of her.

"I'll fix the ice cream," Darcy said,"you two can put your toppings on

"I'll fix the ice cream," Darcy said,"you two can put your toppings on." She added, and Ava did a little happy dance.

If this was how life could be when she was around Ava, Jeremy definitely didn't want her disappearing. He also didn't want to disappoint his daughter, so to make her happy, and be able to spend more time with her, he did what he thought was best. He hired Darcy to be Ava's nanny that watches her at the ranch. If this worked out, he would be a lot happier...