Chapter Ten

The cookout had went really well, and they planned to meet up for another one in the future

The cookout had went really well, and they planned to meet up for another one in the future. Darcy's dads had went back home, but Jack had stayed a couple of extra nights with Emma and Hendrix. He hated leaving his sister behind, even though he knew she was happy in Radio-so far away from her family. She loved her family, but she seemed to also love the small town living.

"Just because you move across the country, doesn't mean Dad and I won't visit often. Don't be surprised to see your two dads randomly pop up at your new place in the middle of the night." Her Pops had told her before he left, which she had found funny.

Her nieces had been hounding her about getting a horse, though she knew she'd never be able to take care of one on her own. She had researched a bit about horses, but that didn't mean she was an expert, nor did that mean she'd be able to do it her first try. Honestly, she'd want to have a teacher first before she ever bought her own horse.

"You should get a horse; name it Sparkles." Emma had told her when they were discussing the horse for a fifth time.

Funny enough, Lori had called the night Emma got home and told her all about Emma's crazy Sparkles idea. Darcy and Lori had a good laugh about it, since both women knew Darcy would never get herself a horse.

"My little girl will visit simply for the idea that you might get a horse." Lori had said, and Darcy had busted out laughing.

Darcy hoped her nieces would visit often, even if it was just for the idea that they thought Darcy would one day get a horse. She missed her family, she truly did, even though she had made the decision to move all the way to the small town hundreds of miles away.

Anyhow, a few days later, Peggy and Chris visited for dinner. Darcy had offered to make homemade pizza and homemade brownies for dessert, and Chris wasn't passing that up. The day of the dinner though, Peggy called telling Darcy that she and Chris had Chris's niece and nephews for a few days, but Darcy happily invited them as well.

Chris's niece, Stella, and nephews, Ethan and Miles, were absolutely adorable. Darcy remembered Chris telling her about his family, so she knew his nephews and niece were his sister, Carly's, kids. They were really well behaved kids, and she could definitely tell that their parents were raising them really well.

"One day, next time your nieces come visit, we should get all the kids together to hang out." Chris commented, and Darcy agreed.

"I can talk to Jack, and he can bring them next time he has time off." She replied, knowing her brother would take all the time off in the world to come visit her.

"Well, I won't be gettin' 'em back till Carly's birthday in a month." Chris said, making Darcy nod.

"I can work with that." She answered, smiling as she sent Jack a quick text.

"You seem closest to your brother Jack." Peggy commented, and Darcy nodded.

"I am, but that's because he was the only one that fully supported me when I started talking about moving to a small town at sixteen. He was also the one who helped me start my small business. I love all my brothers and sisters, but Jack is definitely my favorite." She said, causing Peggy to smile.

"He was really nice, and he seemed to know a thing or two about almost everythin'." She replied, making Darcy laugh.

"That's because he wanted to prove he was the smartest out of all the Pierce children. No matter how many went to college or whatever, he wanted to prove he knew more." She answered, causing her friends to laugh.

"He told me he bought ya Charlie." Chris commented, and Darcy nodded.

"Yeah, he get him for my birthday this year. Riley got me Bruce a couple months before I moved here, since she found him at a shelter." Darcy replied, smiling at the memory.

Soon, the pizzas were done, so she pulled them from the oven and cut them into eight slices each. Once they were cut, she grabbed paper plates and placed them on the table, along with plastic cups. She then put a pitcher of sweet tea and a pitcher of grape kool-aid on the table as well.

"Kids! Dinner!" She exclaimed, before she heard stampeding feet running towards the kitchen.

Chris poured food into the dogs' bowls, before he sat down at the table with his wife, his nephews and niece, and Darcy. Darcy served the kids their pizza, before getting a couple pieces for herself.

"You amaze us with some of the stuff ya make homemade." Peggy complimented, and Darcy smiled.

"I watch cooking shows on TV, and I watch cooking videos on YouTube when I'm working." She replied, shrugging as if it wasn't a big deal.

"Does everyone in your family know how to cook?" Chris asked, and she nodded.

"Yes, but some are better than others. Michael's not the best, and neither is Tatum, but Riley and Jack can cook real well." She answered, chuckling at the thought of her brothers and sisters.

They were a mess when it came to food sometimes.

"One time, Tatum was trying to make homemade cloud bread, but somehow she put something in the dough that made it explode. The oven caught on fire, and we had to call the fire department. Dad had to buy a new stove, and Pops forbid Tatum from using the oven for six months after that." Darcy said, causing everyone to laugh.

"What's cloud bread?" Ethan asked, looking at Darcy with curiosity.

"It's kind of like a bread that dissolves in your mouth similar to cotton candy. You can actually change it to whatever flavor or color you want before you bake it." She explained, and the kids looked mesmerized.

"Can you make us some?" Stella asked, and Darcy nodded.

"I can do that, but it'll have to be tomorrow or the next day. It's too late to make a mess tonight." She replied, causing the kids to nod excitedly.

She was a sweet girl, and Chris and Peggy were happy to have her around...