Chapter Twenty Three

Jeremy was late to get Ava tonight

Jeremy was late to get Ava tonight. It had almost been eleven at night, by the time Jeremy had arrived for his daughter. Darcy didn't know the man was going to be late, but by the time eight o'clock had come, she figured it was best to get Ava ready for bed.

Darcy had bought quite a bit of clothes for her nieces, which included pajamas. The girls were bigger than Ava, but luckily a nightgown was meant to be long. So, Darcy let Ava have a Littlest Pet Shop nightgown, as well as a new pair of panties. Darcy decided that she would need to pick up clothes for Ava the next day, since there was obviously going to be chances when Ava would need the clothes.

Darcy had to help Ava wash her hair in the bathtub, but other than that, Ava was able to bathe herself. Once she was bathed, Darcy gave her the clothes, then brushed her blonde hair. Ava's hair wasn't that thick, so it could air-dry quickly. Darcy decided to braid the little girl's hair though, so it could be less messy in the morning.

Once Ava was clean, Darcy gave her three cookies for a snack, with a glass of milk. Ava sat and watched thirty minutes of cartoons, before Darcy opened a new toothbrush and toothpaste for the little girl. She then helped the little girl get comfortable in one of the girl's beds, before she turned on the nightlight and turned off the big light.

"Do you want me to put the TV on?" Darcy asked, knowing it was sometimes hard to fall asleep in new places.

"Yes, please." Ava replied, and Darcy smiled.

Darcy turned on cartoons for Ava, before she closed the bedroom door, or mostly closed it. She left it cracked, so the pups could go and lay with Ava, or Ava could get out if she needed Darcy. After thirty minutes, Darcy went and checked on Ava, and luckily the little girl was asleep.

Darcy went to her own room and put on her pajamas, before going to the living room to wait on Jeremy. By the time Jeremy arrived, it was almost eleven, and Darcy was falling asleep on the couch. She stood up sluggishly, and walked over to the door. When she opened it, her eyes widened when she seen Jeremy. He had a sling on, and his left arm was in the sling. Darcy could instantly see the cast that was around the lower part of his left arm.

"I'm sorry 'bout bein' so late. I fell off the roof, and--" Jeremy began, but Darcy quickly cut him off.

"No, it's fine," Darcy replied,"Are you okay? Other than your broken arm, of course." She questioned, and he nodded.

"Sprained my ankle, but other than that, I'm good." He answered, as Darcy invited him into the house.

"When did this happen?" Darcy asked, as she motioned for Jeremy to take a seat on the couch.

"At like four, an' I was in the hospital for hours. I knew it was broken, but they wanted a specialist to confirm it. They was worried I had head trauma, but I got lucky. I got out 'bout an hour ago. I had to pick up my meds 'fore I came here." He said, and she frowned.

"Did you take them?" She asked, causing him to shake his head.

"Nah, they'll make me drowsy. I doubt I'll take 'em at all. I gotta be able to watch Ava when she's home, and I gotta take care of the farm." He replied, making her frown again.

"Look, I know you don't want to, but I think you and Ava should stay here tonight," She said, and he opened his mouth to retort, but she stopped him,"Now, before you start cussing at me saying you hate me, please hear me out." She commented, making him sigh.

"What?" He asked, his voice low and tired.

"You're exhausted, you're hurt, and you need to take your meds at least tonight. I have Ava sleeping in my nieces' room, and she's in good hands, Mr. Renner. You need to take your meds at least tonight, so I can set you up in my parents' room or my brothers' room and you can get some much needed rest. I'll take care of everything, and I'll call Peggy in the morning, and have her and Chris go to the farm to either help out, or give them the day off after taking care of the animals." She explained, making him sigh.

"I can't do that to ya. I've been so mean, why are ya doin' this for me?" He questioned, and she smiled.

"Do unto others as you'd want others to do unto to," She quoted,"I've lived by that for years, and I'm not going to stop now, just because you're a bit of an ass," She replied, but her eyes immediately widened,"Oh my, I-I didn't mean to--" She began, but he cut her off.

"Nah, you're right." He replied, laughing quietly.

"You hungry?" She asked,"I can fix you some leftovers from dinner, and get some food in you before you take your meds." She commented, and he nodded.

Darcy went into the kitchen and heated up some leftover cheeseburger pasta casserole, before grabbing a bottle of water to go with it. She brought the stuff over and set it on the table in the living room.

"I know you can't reach the table, but watch this." She said, before she pushed lightly on the bottom of the table, and the top went up.

She was able to lift it up to almost the height of Jeremy's chest, where he'd be able to reach it and feed himself. She knew he definitely didn't want help feeding himself, so she did her best to let him do it himself.

"I'll go find some easy, slip on pajamas for you, and I'll lay them on the bed." Darcy commented, causing Jeremy to nod.

This wasn't something she'd see herself doing often, but when she could help she did, and that's all that mattered...