Chapter Nineteen

Darcy had stayed inside her house for the week, since she refused to accidentally ran into Jeremy

Darcy had stayed inside her house for the week, since she refused to accidentally ran into Jeremy. Over the week she stayed inside, she was able to work on all of the orders she had been backed up on. She had actually gotten a chance to sit and watch Lucifer on Netflix for a couple of hours a day, instead of being overly busy like she usually was when she went to hang out with others.

Peggy and Chris had tried to get her to go out for the farmer's market, but that was a big refusal. She was definitely not going when Jeremy was often there getting cookies and things for himself and Ava. Instead of going out, Darcy stayed home in her pajamas. Her pajamas were simply a pair of panties and a baggy shirt; one of her favorites that was really big on her. The shirt hung to about mid thigh, and was very comfortable.

When Jeremy seen that Darcy wasn't at the farmer's market, a frown came to his face. He walked over to Peggy and Chris's table and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"So, Darcy decided not to show up?" He asked, trying to seem as casual as possible.

"No, she didn't wanna come. She hasn't come out of her house all week." Peggy answered shortly, still feeling rather angry at the man.

"We tried to get her to come out, but she refused. I think she's workin' on her orders or somethin'." Chris said, trying to defuse the tension between his wife and best friend.

"I should talk to her, right?" He asked, looking at his friends a little unsure.

"I don't know if she'll even open the door for you." Chris replied, and Jeremy sighed.

Instead of standing around and thinking about it though, Jeremy grabbed the things he purchased and headed to his truck. Once he was in his truck, he drove straight to the house he would always remember the directions to. As soon as he pulled up, he could feel his stomach doing flips. He walked to the door and knocked somewhat loudly, and immediately he heard the dogs barking inside.

Moments later, Darcy opened the door, and he had to keep himself from staring at her legs. He couldn't tell if she was wearing any shorts, but he could say she had very smooth, beautiful looking legs. He almost reached out to touch them, but obviously that was creepy, and he didn't want to be a creep.

When Darcy heard a knock on her door, she was a little confused. Peggy and Chris often walked straight inside with knocking, since that was what she told them to do. Her parents and siblings did the same thing, so whoever was at her door wasn't a regular. The moment she opened the door and seen Jeremy, she felt a little embarrassed. She didn't even have pants on, and this man hated her, so she felt like she really did embarrass herself in that moment.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, crossing her arms, which raised her shirt just a smidgen more up her thighs.

"I uh, I came here to apologize." He replied, making her sigh.

"Come in." She murmured, moving out of the way to let him in.

Once he was inside, she closed the door and led him to the kitchen. She grabbed herself a cucumber lime Gatorade, and grabbed Jeremy a fruit punch Gatorade. She wasn't sure if he'd like the one she drank, so she gave him one of the original flavors that everyone seemed to love.

"Look, Darcy, I really am sorry. I didn't mean to make ya cry. I feel like shit knowin' I hurt ya like that." He said, making her sigh.

"Why are you apologizing? Did Peggy yell at you?" She questioned, causing him to shake his head.

"That's not why I'm apologizin'. She yelled at me, sure, but that was almost a week ago. I spent the whole damn week thinkin' about what I should do, and how I should make it up to ya. I really didn't mean to make ya cry. I just ain't use to people bein' nice to us, not unless they want somethin'. The only people I trust nowadays are the friends I had before Ava was born." He replied, making her nod.

"I just wanted to help. I wanted to be someone that could show enough kindness that you'd finally let people into your life again." Darcy commented, and Jeremy sighed.

"I get that, but I ain't let anyone in for years, and I don't plan on startin' now." He said, making her sigh as well.

"So what's the point of you being here, Mr. Renner?" She questioned,"If you're not letting anyone in, why feel bad for what you said? Why apologize, when you plan to push me away anyway?"

"First of all, Darcy, stop callin' me Mr. Renner, my name's Jeremy. Second of all, I know you want to be kind and want to be my friend, but there's been so much shit in my life and--" Jeremy began, but Darcy cut him off.

"I get it, Jeremy, I do, but sometimes the one person you didn't think you'd need turns out to be the person you needed the most." Darcy said, making Jeremy sigh.

"Look, I can promise ya anythin', but things have been busier at the farm since we got a couple new horses and a few chickens. My ranch hands and I have been very busy, and I have been lookin' for someone to watch Ava for long periods of time. My mom can do it, but it's not really easy for either of us, and Peggy can only do it sometimes," He rambled slightly,"What I'm tryna say is I was wonderin' if you'd be Ava's babysitter. I'd drop her off every mornin' before school, and I'd pick her up every night after dinner. We can work on better arrangements later," He said,"So, would you? Think of it as a way of gettin' me to open up to new people." He commented, causing her to sigh.

"Yes, I'll do it, but we're going to be working out a better schedule later. Ava should still have plenty of time with you." Darcy said, and Jeremy nodded.

He wasn't sure if the arrangement was going to work out, but he was wanting to get to know her a little better, and he was sort of wanting to have her around more. If she became Ava's babysitter, she'd be able to spend more time with Ava, and in he'd be able to get to know the girl more. It somewhat seemed like a win-win situation...