Chapter Sixteen

Darcy wasn't sure if she was really feeling the idea of going on a date with a mystery man

Darcy wasn't sure if she was really feeling the idea of going on a date with a mystery man. She trusted Peggy and Chris, but she wasn't fond of blind dates. Her ex-best friend, Serena, had set her up on a blind date once. The date went well, and Darcy ended up dating the man—Jackson—for six months.

On their six month anniversary, Darcy recieved a call. Well, technically it was an accidental phone call, but she still received a call. The call was from Jackson's phone, and from the honk she heard when she answered, she knew he was in the car. She heard heavy breathing at first, but next thing she heard was Jackson moaning Serena's name, and Serena calling Jackson "Daddy."

Darcy was absolutely disgusted, to the point where she screamed into the phone, hung up, and blocked both of their numbers. Serena and Jackson both tried to come to her house on multiple occasions to fix their relationship with her, but to no avail. After the second time they showed up, Darcy told her brother Jack everything. The moment either of them showed up, Jack was the one to open the door and talk to them. After the first time seeing Jack, neither of them came back.

Obviously, Darcy knew Peggy and Chris wouldn't sleep with the man they set her up with, but that didn't mean that he wouldn't be a cheater like Jackson. She wanted to try and be optimistic, but Jackson had really broken her trust, and he was another reason she wanted to find herself a country boy instead of one of the thousands of city boys that did anything to get into a girl's pants.

Anyhow, Peggy spent almost an hour on Darcy's hair and makeup, as well as her outfit. Peggy wanted her to look nice, bur she didn't want to cake her face in makeup where the poor girl would sweat it off or suffocate from it due to the heat. By the time she was ready, the mystery man arrived to meet her. Chris had answered the door, and invited the man inside.

The man wore blue jeans, cowboy boots, a black t-shirt with 'Duck Dynasty' on it, and a cowboy hat on top of his head. He had chocolate brown eyes, dirt brown hair, and no facial hair. Darcy couldn't lie, she was a little disappointed to see such a scrawny man standing in front of her. He had no muscle whatsoever, and he had no visible tattoos or scars to prove he did anything other than dress like a cowboy.

"Hello, ma'am, you must be Darcy Pierce. Mr. and Mrs. Evans told me a bit about you, but I have to say, you're way prettier than they described," He said,"Oh, I'm Jayson Fairbanks, by the way." He added, and Darcy smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Jayson." She replied, though she wasn't too sure if she meant it yet.

Soon, Jayson helped her into his truck and drove her to the diner Chris and Peggy instructed. The married couple followed close behind. Once they arrived, Jayson helped Darcy out of his truck, and held the door open like a gentleman letting her and Peggy inside. Jayson and Darcy went to a table, and Chris and Peggy sat close by; Chris watching them from afar the whole time.

"So, I can tell you're not from 'round these parts, why did ya move so far from home?" Jayson asked, causing Darcy to shrug.

"I just wanted to get away from the city. I mean, I love my family, but I wanted a more simple life." She replied, and the man nodded.

"And what do ya do for work?" He asked, as the waitress came with their drinks.

"I run a small business. I make things for people, like personalized cups, shirts, bags, and things like that." She answered, and the man raised his eyebrows.

"I didn't know there was actually money in a thing like that." He commented, causing her to frown.

Darcy heard the bell chime above the door, and when she looked up, her eyes widened seeing Jeremy walking into the diner. She quickly averted her eyes, since she didn't want to call attention to herself, nor did she want him to get mad at her and cause a scene. She had a feeling he would be more than willing to cause a scene if it was to humiliate her in public.

"I've been running my small business for quite some time now. It was actually how I saved up to buy my house." She said, causing him to scoff.

"There's no way," He retorted,"Your daddy had to have given ya the money. Ain't no way you got enough money to buy a house from personalizin' things for people." He added, making her frown.

"Well, that's really how it happened." She answered, feeling herself turn pink a bit when he laughed.

"Trust me girly, I've met plenty of people in my life, and nobody ever told me they did somethin' as ridiculous as that and made a fortune. You city folk crack me up, claimin' to make money off stupid things like this," He rambled, her cheeks growing more hot and eyes watering a bit as he insulted her,"but hey, if that's the story ya wanna go with--" He continued, but was quickly cut off.

Chris had stood up to stop the man from hurting his friend, but he was shocked when he seen Jeremy step in. Jeremy knocked the man's hat off his head, before grabbing him by his shirt. He fisted the shirt tightly, and pulled the man to stand, and glared at him menacingly.

"Ya best get the hell up outta here right now, before I give you a black eye that matches your damn shirt, boy." Jeremy spat, before he practically threw the man away from him.

"Mr. Renner, I--" Darcy began, but Jeremy cut her off.

"C'mon, he can get the bill, you're gonna sit with Peggy and Chris; leave this dirt bag to himself." Jeremy said, and Darcy merely nodded.

Jeremy walked Darcy over to their friends, and Peggy quickly scooted over to give the girl some room. Once the girl was sat down, she turned to thank Jeremy, but he was already leaving the building. She wanted to thank him, but she also felt like she potentially pissed him off when he had to save her. She was shocked that he saved her, and she had no idea why he had done it, when she knew Chris and Peggy would've in a heart beat. Maybe he didn't hate her as much as she thought he did...