Chapter Eighteen

After the farmer's market, Darcy went home, took a long shower, then slipped on a hoodie and a pair of shorts

After the farmer's market, Darcy went home, took a long shower, then slipped on a hoodie and a pair of shorts. She felt like the hoodie summed up out she felt at the moment. Once she was dressed, she pulled her hair into a messy bun, then cranked up the AC, and went to her little library. She sat by the window, grabbed a book and glanced over the title. Heavier Than Heaven by Charles R. Cross.

The book was a biography about the lead singer of Nirvana, Kurt Cobain, and his lift from birth to death. She had read this book a couple of times at this point, but she still continued to read it. Kurt Cobain was one of her absolute favorite singers of all time, and his music meant so much to her. To be honest, she still felt like Kurt didn't end his own life, and that his wife, Courtney Love, had ended it, but she was never charged.

Anyhow, as she read the description on the back for what seemed to be the hundredth time since she bought the book, she decided to place it back on the shelf. She couldn't get herself to read, and she knew it was because of her influx in emotions. So, she sat down in her reading corner, pulled out her phone, and dialed Jack's number. She knew Jack would answer, no matter what time it was or what he was doing. If his little sister needed him, he'd be there, and he'd be happy to help.

"What's up?" He asked almost as soon as he answered the phone.

"I miss you." Darcy replied, and Jack could tell almost immediately that something was wrong.

"What's wrong, Darcy?" He asked, his voice more stern than when he answered the phone.

"I just—am I a bad person, Jack?" She asked, causing her brother to scoff.

"No, where the hell did you get that idea? Did someone tell you that?" He asked, making her sigh.

"Well, it's a little more than a short, easy explanation." She murmured, and her brother frowned to himself.

"I've got time, Pops is out with the girls, so I don't have anything to worry about but you, Darce. Tell me what happened." He said, causing her to take a deep breath.

"Well, last week Peggy set me up on this blind date, and you know how much I despise those," She began, as she heard her brother chuckle,"It was a terrible date, by the way, and I don't even remember the guy's name. He upset me a bit, but I'm over it, he's a jerk," She said, and her brother agreed,"When he was saying rude things to me, Mr. Renner told him off and made him pay for lunch, and he walked me over to Peggy and Chris--" She continued, but Jack cut her off.

"Mr. Renner? Who's that?" He asked, causing his sister to sharply intake a breath.

"Mr. Renner, or Jeremy to his friends, is a cowboy that owns a farm in Radio. He has a little girl named Ava, and she's the sweetest little girl. I've met her a couple times; watched her when Mr. Renner, Chris, and Peggy were busy. Anyway, Mr. Renner and I aren't really friends, we kind of don't like each other," She began, causing her brother to shake his head,"Well, when he went off on this guy, I thought maybe we could get past the petty hate and start getting along, especially around our friends, but apparently he's not over it. Earlier I tried to give him a bookbag I made for Ava for school, since she'll be in kindergarten, and I invited him and Ava to dinner, but I guess he took it wrong. Anyway, he dragged me off so nobody else could here, before he went off on me, told me he wasn't a charity case, that he and Ava didn't need me poking around, and to back off. I just, I don't know what I did wrong Jack." She said, and Jack could hear the emotions in her voice.

"You ignore that man, Darcy. You're a sweet girl, and if he can't see it, that's his loss. His daughter will grow up to despise him for the way he treats people, or he'll realize he did wrong when she turns out to be just like him. You're not a bad person, he is," Jack stated,"but hey, I will break every bone in his body, if he ever makes you cry again." He added, and Darcy smiled.

"Thank you, Jack, I knew you'd be able to make me feel better. Chris and Peggy tried their best, but sometimes I just need my big brother." Darcy commented, causing Jack to chuckle.

"Yeah, I am pretty great," He joked, making Darcy roll her eyes,"I'll come down and visit soon, Darcy. I really miss you, and so does Hendrix." He said, and his sister smiled once again.

"I miss you guys, too. I'll be sending gifts up to you guys later. I know the girls will want new backpacks, so I'll have them ready soon." She replied, causing him to laugh.

"You spoil these girls too much," He retorted,"but I'm glad you're sending them, because Michael and I forgot to buy some when we went out to get school supplies. The ladies sent us out, since they wanted to bring the girls to get clothes." He explained, and his sister laughed.

"You and Mikey are hopeless," She commented,"but I love you guys." She added, causing Jack to smile.

"I love you, too, Darcy." He replied, an amused smile on his face.

Darcy and Jack continued to talk on the phone until Hendrix got home. Being able to talk to Jack made Darcy feel a lot better. She was glad she had such an amazing brother. If she didn't, she doubted she'd ever be able to handle everything in her life. He was her rock, as she was his, and they needed each other to get through some of the toughest things in their lives...