Chapter Seventeen

A week had passed, but Darcy hadn't seen Jeremy to thank him

A week had passed, but Darcy hadn't seen Jeremy to thank him. She really wanted to thank him, and possibly invite him and Ava to dinner. She could make a nacho baked casserole with carrot cake for dessert. She had a feeling Ava and Jeremy would both like it, but she hadn't had a chance to see Jeremy or talk to him at all for a week, which was rather disappointing.

Again, another farmer's market came, and she set up next to Peggy like she had the last couple of times. Chris helped her again, like he did Peggy every time. Chris and Peggy were practically her best friends, and since they were a bit older than her, they almost had a sort of parent-y vibe going on towards her. She wouldn't complain though, she was quite fond of the way they were with her.

Anyhow, about an hour after setting up, Darcy spotted Jeremy buying cookies at one of the booths. When he turned away from the booth to find another one, Darcy waved him over. She could tell that he was going to ignore her, at first, but he seemed to choose against it after a second. When he walked over, she gave him a rather large smile.

"Hey Mr. Renner, I wanted to actually thank you for what you did last week. I know you and I didn't exactly start on the right direction, but after last week, I kind of feel like maybe things could change," She rambled,"I made Ava a bookbag yesterday, 'cause I know school is starting soon," Ehe added, grabbing the school bag with Ava's name embroidered on it,"and I was wondering if maybe you and Ava would like to come to dinner at my place. I've heard I'm quite the cook, and I wanted to invite you both. I know Ava really likes cakes, so I was going to make--" She rambled again, but Jeremy cut her off.

Jeremy walked around the table, grapsed her arm, and walked her away from her booth. Chris seen them walk away, so he quickly slipped into her spot to take over. He and Peggy didn't want her missing any sales. Chris tried to listen from afar, but Jeremy had taken her and himself too far for Chris to hear them.

"Look, I know you're tryin' to make up for whatever the hell happened at the diner, but I really don't care," Jeremy began,"I don't do kindly with a man bein' so outwardly rude to a woman, but you're pushin' me here, Pierce. I don't get what's up with you," He shook his head,"You're bein' too damn nice, givin' things to my little girl," He raised the school bag,"as if we're some damn charity case. Well, we sure as hell ain't," He spat,"I don't know how to make it anymore clear to you, Ava's fine. I'm fine. I don't need anyone. I have myself, my daughter, and my farm. Everything else doesn't matter to me. Back off." He snapped, before he turned around and walked away.

Darcy watched as Jeremy walked away, and her heart broke more when she watched him toss the school bag into Chris's chest. Chris called after the man, but the man continued to walk away and not look back. Quickly, Chris turned around to check on Darcy, and he watched as she crumbled. It was almost like everything was in slow motion, as the girl began to cry, and her legs gave out, causing her to fall to her butt.

"Darcy!" Chris exclaimed, dropping the school bag in a box, before he ran towards the girl.

Peggy took over both tables, knowing her husband could at least try and handle whatever happened to Darcy. If he couldn't, she would step in. All she knew was that if Jeremy hurt the girl, there was going to be hell to pay. She was tired of the way the man treated the sweet girl, and she was tired of telling the girl to give the man a break. He needed to own up to his shit, and one way or another she was going to make him.

"What happened?" Chris asked, as he crouched down to the crying girl's level.

"He yelled at me. He hates me for no reason," She cried,"I don't understand. What did I do to make him hate me? Why does he think I want something? Why does he keep being so mean to me?" She questioned, as tears cascaded down her cheeks.

"Oh Darcy," Chris murmured, as he sat down next to her, and pulled her into his side,"I'm so sorry he's so rude to you. I promise I'll handle it. He won't act that way towards you anymore, I'll make sure of it." He said, and she took a shaky breath in.

"I don't want you fighting with him, Chris. He's your best friend." She replied, her voice cracking.

"I know, but sometimes a bit of tough love is how ya get someone to realize they're in the wrong." He answered, smiling sympathetically at her.

After a moment or two, Darcy wiped the tears from her face and Chris helped her stand. He grabbed Peggy's makeup bag from their truck, which really only had a little makeup in it, and handed it to Darcy. She fixed up her makeup, and Chris told her she looked like she hadn't even cried, so she felt a bit better.

Darcy went back to working her table, though she wasn't as enthusiastic as before. She was still sad, and she really didn't know how to make herself feel better. By the time she was finished at the table, she decided that she was going to call Jack. He always knew how to cheer her up, and she knew he would make her feel better. She just hoped he didn't decide to drive all the way to Texas to kick Jeremy's ass for making her cry...