Chapter Forty Two

Being a step-mom, or really just a regular mom, wasn't much different than being a nanny

Being a step-mom, or really just a regular mom, wasn't much different than being a nanny. Darcy would still get up every morning and help Ava get ready for the day. She would cook and clean and just hang out with Ava. It was like her everyday routine, except now the title for anyone that asked, it would be "mom."

Ava loved the idea of having a mom, especially when it was brought up that Darcy was that person. The poor little girl never really had a mother figure, since her real mother was horrible and presumed dead as of a year or so ago. Nobody told Ava her birth mother was probably dead though, since the girl was only five and really couldn't handle such news.

Anyhow, Darcy and Jeremy had talked more once his family had left. Jeremy had explained to her that his family could be a bit pushy at times, but he still loved them. He also told her that she wouldn't necessarily be a step-mom, but more of a regular mom. Ava never really had a mom, so Darcy would be that person, and Jeremy was happy with it.

Darcy and Jeremy's relationship hadn't really gone far enough to spending the night with each other or anything, but Ava was given the choice to spend the night at Darcy's whenever she wanted to. Both Darcy and Jeremy believed this would make things easier for Ava, once their relationship did go to the part of sleeping over at each other's houses. They wanted Ava to be comfortable in both homes, as if Ava wasn't already comfortable in Darcy's home anyway.

There was only four days until the new year, and Darcy was ready for the small party. She had bought many things to make a small party for her, Jeremy, and Ava. She had invited Peggy and Chris, but they were supposed to be hanging out with Mackie and Sebastian, so they couldn't come to the party. Darcy would've invited the others as well, but she didn't want to overwhelm anyone.

Darcy knew that Jeremy wasn't a big party person, so she didn't want to force him into having a party with his friends. Well, that was a half-truth. She actually planned to have a party for Jeremy's birthday with his friends, his family, and possibly some of hers as well. She didn't know who could possibly show up, but she wanted a couple to at least show up.

"Darcy, my tummy hurts." Ava commented, about an hour before bedtime.

"Oh, baby. What's the matter?" Darcy cooed,"Do you feel sick, or does it just hurt?" She asked, making Ava shrug.

"I don't know. It hurts." She cried, tears starting to roll down her face.

"It's alright, darling," Darcy shushed, as she picked up Ava and set her on her lap,"I'll get some medicine that'll make you feel better."

"Is it nasty?" Ava asked, causing Darcy to shake her head.

"No, it's not. I promise." Darcy answered, carrying the little girl into the bathroom where the medicine was kept.

"Can we snuggle?" Ava asked, and Darcy nodded.

"Of course, my love." Darcy replied, kissing Ava's head.

Once Ava took her medicine, Darcy grabbed a nightgown for Ava to wear to bed. Ava changed into her pajamas, then Darcy kicked off her shoes and laid down on Ava's bed with Ava. Ava snuggled close to her, burying her head in her neck. Darcy wrapped her arms around the little girl and held her to make her feel safe and happy.

A couple of hours later, Darcy was woken up by Jeremy. He had tapped her hip lightly to wake her up. She looked at him with squinted eyes, before she slowly pulled herself from the bed and Ava's hold. Darcy and Jeremy quietly walked out of the room and headed to the living room.

"Ya wanna stay over?" Jeremy asked,"Ya look exhausted." He commented, causing her to smile.

"Sorry," She replied,"Ava was feeling sick and she wanted to snuggle. I didn't think I was going to fall asleep."

"Well, I think ya should jus' stay over," Jeremy commented,"I bet Ava would feel better if ya did."

"You're probably right," She murmured,"Can I borrow a shirt?" She asked, and Jeremy nodded.

Jeremy brought Darcy to his room, before he grabbed one of his shirts and handed it to her. She quickly went to the bathroom and changed, then Jeremy grabbed her clothes to wash them with his and Ava's that night.

"Darcy," Jeremy began, as he grabbed his girlfriend's hand,"Thank you for being such a great girlfriend. You've been so good t' me and t' Ava. I don't know if I would've been able to do any of this without ya. I know when she's not feelin' well she gets clingy, but you're handlin' it so well, and," He stopped himself for a moment, thinking for barely a second,"and I love you, Darcy, for who ya are and what you've done for us." He said, causing Darcy's eyes to widen.

Darcy felt her heart skip a beat, but she didn't allow herself to overthink anything.

"I love you, Jeremy; you and Ava." She replied, making him smile as well.

Jeremy pulled Darcy to him and placed his lips on hers, but their kissing didn't last long, because Ava came into the room.

"You left." She murmured, her bottom lip wobbling.

"No, baby, I just needed sleep clothes. I'm changed now, just let me brush my teeth, and I'll be back in there, okay?" Darcy replied, and Ava nodded pitifully.

Darcy smiled at Jeremy and placed a kiss on his lips.

"The princess beckons," Darcy joked,"I'll see you in the morning. I love you."

"I love you." He answered, before he watched her walk away.

She was amazing in every way, shape, and form. He was glad he had her. He was never going to let her go. She was his and Ava's happily ever after, as cheesy as that sounds...