Chapter Seven

A week later, a heat wave was running through the area

A week later, a heat wave was running through the area. The problem was, the heat wave brought heavy rain, thunder, and lightening with it. Darcy never really had to deal with bad weather, or rather, nothing like this. Yes, she had to deal with flooding. Yes, she had to deal with lots and lots of snow, but she rarely had to deal with actual storms. The storm system running through right now was extreme.

It was constant heavy rain, lightening that hit the ground, thunder that shook the house and rattled the windows, and hail the size of golf balls-sometimes bigger at times. She wasn't use to this type of weather, and it kind of scared her. She was worried her vehicles would be damaged by the hail, so she put them in her garage to protect them, and put the cover over the pool to try and protect it as much as she could.

The girl had her news on the entire time, trying to keep track of the storm going on. She seen a few reports of damaging wind and a few tornadoes, but she had never dealt with a tornado before. The simple idea of a tornado scared the hell out of her. So, she tried to keep track of the news and hope that nothing too extreme came that could put her in danger.

As the day grew dark, the time becoming close to six, the sky seemed to be darker with the clouds. The lightening lit up her house like fireworks. The sound of the thunder made her jump when it was very loud. As she was trying to relax herself with a book, her puppies started barking and freaking out. She didn't know what was wrong, but she knew they were in distress. All of a sudden, her power went out, and it happened at the same time as a loud clap of thunder.

"Oh crap!" She exclaimed, as she tossed her book to the side to search for a flashlight.

The girl stood up form her couch and began to search everywhere, before she heard hard, fast knocking on her front door. Furrowing her eyebrows, Darcy carefully maneuvered herself to the door. The knocking continued constantly until she opened her door.

"Chris?" She questioned, seeing the distraught look on his face.

"Grab your shoes and pups, we've got to get to the storm shelter. The tornado is headed our way." He said, and she nodded.

Darcy used the flashlight on her phone to run to her room and slip on boots, before she grabbed her two puppies. When she got to the door, Chris grabbed her biggest puppy, Charlie, from her arms.

"We've gotta run." He instructed, and she sighed shakily.

Darcy quickly shut her door, before she and Chris took off running towards Chris's house. The wind was whipping her hair all over the place, lightening was hitting the ground, and thunder was rolling seemingly at a constant pace. As soon as they got to the storm shelter, Chris opened the door and ushered Darcy inside. He slammed the door shut and locked it up, before placing Charlie on the ground.

"Thank god you're okay." Peggy murmured, as she pulled Darcy in for a hug.

"I've never dealt with something like this before." Darcy said, her voice cracking.

"It'll be okay, we're safe in here." Chris stated, giving Darcy an encouraging smile.

Dodger could tell she was distraught, so the dog went over and laid in her lap. Her puppies crowded at her feet, as Dodger nudged her with his head to pet him and calm her down.

When everything outside seemed to go silent, Darcy furrowed her eyebrows. Then, she heard what sounded like a train whistle. It seemed to get louder and louder, before she heard the thunder and pounding rain once again. Chris checked his phone and sighed in relief.

"Tornado warnin' is over. We can head out now." Chris said, and Darcy took a shaky breath.

"Don't worry, if anythin' is wrong with your home, you can stay with us." Peggy said, patting her friend's shoulder.

"Same goes for you two." Darcy replied, causing her friends to smile.

"We'll walk you to yours, after we check on our place." Chris stated, and Darcy nodded once more.

Darcy followed her two friends out of the shelter and towards their house. The rain had let up into a sprinkle for now, but if she remembered the radar, the sprinkling would only last a little while before it turned into pouring once again. The three walked around the outside to check it out, before going inside.

"Well, the back porch is missin' a roof, and the ceilin's is leakin' in the kitchen and our bedroom." Chris summarized, and Peggy sighed.

"Do ya got tarps to put on the roof?" Peggy asked, causing Chris to shake his head.

"I only got the one, my biggest one's gotta go over the porch to keep it from bein' damaged anymore." Chris replied, making Peggy nod.

"I've got a tarp," Darcy spoke up,"Dad made sure I had a couple in case I ever needed them." She said, causing her friends to turn to her.

"Ya mind if we borrow one?" Chris asked, causing her to shake her head.

"No, it's fine. You can keep it. Dad'll get me another. I'll tell him I gave one to a friend, after they kept me safe from the storm." She replied, and her friends smiled.

"Darcy and I'll run to her place, you stay here and start puttin' up tarps." Peggy said, making Chris nod.

Chris went to his shed and grabbed his wooden ladder, before he propped it against the side of his house.

"Dodger's comin' with us!" Peggy called out, before she, Darcy, and the dogs piled into Chris's truck.

Darcy was worried about the shape of her house after seeing the damage to Chris and Peggy's. She just hoped her house was livable...