Chapter Two

After dropping her dads, Jack, and Hendrix off at the airport, Darcy decided to go home and start working on a small garden at the front of her house

After dropping her dads, Jack, and Hendrix off at the airport, Darcy decided to go home and start working on a small garden at the front of her house. She was only planting flowers, but it was still a garden nonetheless. When she was little, she had a few flowers around her family home that she would take care of. Since she remembered doing that often, she decided to set up her own garden in a shaded area in front of her house. The roof of the porch hung right over the flowerbed during the heat of the day, so she didn't have to worry about the sun damaging them.

As she was planting the seeds for her flowers, she listened to music from her phone. Her phone was placed on the table on the porch, and she had a small bluetooth speaker on the porch rail near where she was working. The song that was playing was Stacey's Mom by Bowling For Soup. She sang along quietly, as her puppies bounced around and played behind her.

The girl hadn't heard anyone walking up, so when she felt a tap on her shoulder, she let out a yelp and fell on her butt when she turned around. In front of her was a dark haired woman in wrangler shorts, which Darcy could tell use to be pants; as well as a sleeveless flannel, and a pair of cowboy boots. She had a hat on her head to save her eyes and face from the sun.

"Howdy," The woman greeted,"I'm Peggy Evans, and I seen you just moved in next to my husband and I. I felt like I should come welcome you to the neighborhood, and see how you're settlin' in." She said, and Darcy smiled.

Darcy pulled herself off the ground, before shaking the lady's hand.

"Nice to meet you, Peggy, I'm Darcy Pierce." Darcy replied, and the woman grinned.

"You're not from 'round here at all. You're one of them northerners." She commented, causing Darcy to nod.

"Yeah, originally from Washington, but I moved down here to get away from the big city." Darcy said, and the woman nodded.

"I can definitely see why you'd wanna do that. Too much traffic and loud people for my likin'," She answered,"Well, anyway, I was wonderin' if you'd like to come over for dinner tonight; consider it a welcome to the neighborhood dinner if ya want." She commented, making Darcy smile.

"I'd love that, but I don't have anyone to watch my puppies, and I don't quite trust them home alone for too long just yet." She replied, and the woman grinned.

"Bring 'em with ya. We've got a dog of our own, name's Dodger. He'd love to hang out with your pups," She said,"'Sides, I know it's best to get pups around other dogs when they're young to get them use to bigger dogs and such." She added, causing Darcy to nod.

"Y'know what, I'll come over. I can do with a nice southern meal, I haven't had one yet, unless you count fried eggs and bacon from a diner in Nebraska as southern food." Darcy joked, and Peggy laughed.

"Nah, you ain't had nothin' yet. I'll make sure you have a good taste of southern cookin' tonight, and I'll send some leftovers home with ya." She replied, making Darcy smile.

"Thank you, Peggy, I'll be over at five for dinner." Darcy commented, causing Peggy to nod.

"Works for me, see ya then." She answered, before she walked off back to her own house.

Darcy's house was considerably bigger than all the others, but she had gotten the most expensive-and last in the neighborhood-house she could find. She didn't want to cheap out, and she was glad she went the extra mile to pick a house that didn't stand out too much from the others. She wanted to seem like a normal girl, not like the girl that always had her fathers' money to float by on.

Yes, Darcy bought the house with her own money-as well as with the money she didn't know her dads gave her-but she did it on her own, and she was proud of herself. Her dads had bought her the vehicles she owned. Dad had bought the truck, and Pops had bought the SUV. Speaking of which, her truck would be coming in after about a week, and she was excited. She didn't want to drive around in a huge SUV all the time, since she knew it would stand out. Obviously, she wouldn't completely stop driving it, but she wouldn't drive it only either.

Anyhow, once she was finished with her garden, she wiped her hands on a towel she brought outside with her, before she turned off her speaker and grabbed her phone. She didn't want to smell like sweat when meeting and getting to know new people, especially when she knew in the small town everyone knew everyone, and they would definitely talk about her if she did anything wrong during dinner.

She also decided that she would make a cheesecake for dessert to bring over. She knew how to cook well, since both her dads made sure their kids knew how to cook. Jack loved when Darcy made pie though, since he believed her pie was the best pie he'd ever eaten. Since she didn't want to start off with a pie for her new neighbor, she decided on a cheesecake. A cheesecake was like a pie, just not completely.

After she made the cheesecake, which was cherry-her favorite, she headed to her room to take a shower. She kicked off her boots and put them in the spot they had in the closet. All of her shoes, clothes, accessories, and such had specific spots, and she always made sure they went back in their place. She hated a messy house, and she was going to make sure she could do her best to keep her house clean and smelling nice...