Chapter Twenty Eight

The next day, Darcy woke up with a horrible headache

The next day, Darcy woke up with a horrible headache. She technically didn't start working for Jeremy until next week, but since he wasn't able to do much with a broken arm, she had decided to start a week early to help him out. It especially helped, since Jeremy and Ava were both being fed before Jeremy went out to work for the day.

When Darcy crawled out of bed, she groaned from the amount of pressure her head was feeling. She was use to headaches, so she just went straight to her medicine cabinet to get something for it. Another groan, more exasperated, left her lips when she realized she was out of the medication she normally took for her headaches, and she had sent her other medication with Jeremy for his arm.

So, Darcy went to her closet and grabbed a random outfit and pulled it on, before she grabbed her phone and called Peggy. As the phone rang, Darcy went to her front door and opened it to let the dogs out for their morning pee.

"Hello?" She heard, and she smiled in relief.

"Hey, do you have anything I can take for a headache?" She asked,"My head feels like it's going to explode. I ran out of my usual medication, and I sent my other medication with Jeremy for his arm." She explained, and she heard shuffling in the background.

"I have BC powders, will that work?" Peggy asked, causing Darcy to smile to herself.

"Yes, that's pretty much what I take. I use Goodies though, but BC will work just fine." Darcy answered, and Peggy grabbed a few.

"Let me run them over to ya real quick. I'll be over in a sec." Peggy said, before the line went dead.

By the time the dogs were headed inside, Peggy was coming across the grass with a few BC powders in her hand. She walked up to the door and handed them to Darcy.

"Want me to watch the pups for the day?" Peggy asked,"I ain't got much else to do today besides hangout with Dodger and do a little yard work." She commented, causing Darcy to chuckle.

"I normally bring them with me to help keep Ava occupied, but if you want to, you can take them for the day." Darcy replied, and Peggy nodded.

"I'll have 'em back tonight when ya get home." Peggy said, before she called the dogs to follow her.

Once Darcy was able to take one of the BC powders, she went and put the others in her medicine cabinet, before she went out to her truck to head to Jeremy's. She wouldn't have gone, but Jeremy and Ava needed her. Eventually she would've been able to get something for a headache if Peggy didn't have anything, even if that meant she had to wait for a few hours to go to the store to pick something up.

"Sorry about not dressing up like I normally do," Darcy commented, as she entered the house,"I wasn't feeling the greatest this morning." She said, heading to the kitchen to start breakfast.

"Ya coulda stayed home," Jeremy replied,"I coulda handled Ava today." He added, but Darcy shook her head.

"No, Peggy brought over a BC powder, and now I'm feeling a little better. My head's not pounding like it was before." Darcy replied, making Jeremy frown.

"Next time, let me know. I'd let ya have the day off." He said, and she didn't reply, knowing it would just cause more of an argument.

"Is Ava up yet?" Darcy asked, as she sliced up some bananas and strawberries.

"Yeah, I'll get her." Jeremy replied, leaving the kitchen, which caused Darcy to silently sigh in relief.

She had a feeling he was watching her to see if she wasn't feeling well enough to work. It felt as though he had been watching her every move, so she just had to think of something to get him to go away, even if it was just for a minute. When he came back with Ava, Darcy was setting up some oatmeal in bowls.

"I have strawberries and bananas to go with your oatmeal today." Darcy commented, setting the bowl of cut up fruit on the table.

She then went to the counter and grabbed the three bowls of oatmeal and brought them over, before going back one last time to grab her coffee and some spoons.

"Where's the doggies?" Ava asked, causing Darcy to smile.

"Peggy took them for the day. She wanted Dodger to play with them, since she didn't have much work to do." Darcy replied, and Ava simply nodded.

"They'll be back tomorrow," Jeremy commented,"I gotta teach Charlie how to work on the ranch." He added, making Ava laugh.

"He's not a worker, Daddy." She said, causing Jeremy to smile slightly.

"Not yet," Jeremy replied,"but he will be."

After breakfast, Jeremy headed out to work, and Darcy started on the dishes and stuff that needed to get done for the day. Ava sat in the living room playing with her dolls and watching cartoons. A few times, she ran to Darcy to see if she could help her with anything. Ava loved to help Darcy do things, even if it was simply throwing wet clothes into the dryer.

Ava was like the little shadow everyone wanted. She was sweet and she was always helpful. Obviously, she could have tantrums and such, just like any other kid her age, but she was more on the reserved side when it came to throwing fits. Darcy had a feeling that it had to do with the little girl's mother, but obviously she wasn't going to say anything.

Throughout the day, Darcy and Ava worked together sometimes, or Darcy worked by herself while Ava played. This was their regular routine, but now it was in Ava's own home, instead of at Darcy's. Ava had all of her toys and such that she loved, and it just made her day easier...