Chapter Eighty-eight

Today is Kiri's first surgery. Just five days after Mina and I visited his parents. Katsuki was able to leave the hospital earlier than expected, so now everyone is back in school... except Kiri. We were told his surgery was scheduled for six a.m. and going to be reconstructing his skull and do something similar to welding it back together. The doctors had decided that was the most urgent surgery, as that's what's keeping him in a coma.

We had put together a group chat solely for Mr. and Mrs. Kirishima to give us updates, that way any news could get to everyone at one time, and we wouldn't have to wait for one person to tell the rest.

I've been practically checking my phone every five minutes, just waiting for an update on Kiri's surgery. I know that something like this is likely to take nearly all day, but there's this nagging "what if?" in the back of my head. What if they finish early, or what if it goes horribly wrong? But it's only nine in the morning, so I doubt there will be any updates soon.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and held it under my desk to check my notifications, still nothing... Damn.

"Ahem." I heard from behind me. I looked up towards the voice. "Keiko Himura... you know phones are not allowed during class."

Shit, Mr. Aizawa caught me. "Yes, I'm sorry." The whole class had turned to look at me. "I'll put it away..." I put my phone into my backpack so it wouldn't be in my pocket anymore. I shouldn't be surprised I got caught, I do sit in the second row of desks.

Mr. Aizawa sighed and made his way back to his podium in front of the class. Mina leaned towards me a little and whispered, "Ooooh, you got in trouble." I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at her, then went back to paying attention to Mr. Aizawa.

He looked out at out class, "Bakugou, Kaminari, and Sero." He eyed the three of them from his podium. "You three are horrible at hiding your phones. Put them away."

There was a mini chorus of mumbled "Yes sir"'s between them. I guess they're just as anxious as me about getting a message. I can't be sure, but Katsuki definitely is. Denki might just be playing Pokémon Go or something.

Mr. Aizawa seemed to think for a second. "It seems like the classes overall concentration is low right now." He sighed and closed the folder on his podium. "Seeing as we are ahead in the curriculum, and everyone is on edge about Kirishima... including me, we can take the period to just rest. Take a nap, talk amongst yourself, I don't care. Just don't be too loud and don't do anything against the school rules." He picked up a laptop from a bag and opened it, "I would also take a nap but unfortunately I have some emails I need to respond to."

We were a little shocked and just sat there for a moment starting blankly at him. We heard the clacking from his keyboard before he looked up at us, "What are you waiting for? Instructions? Just do something."

We almost immediately broke into talking about Kiri. How worried we were and how most of us had been trying to sneak our phones during class came up first. A few of us decided to take a nap after the initial burst of energy in the room, five of our classmates were studying for a different class, and the rest of us just talked.

The rest of the day went fairly smoothly, I think that brief rest in the mid-morning helped a lot. Mr. Aizawa and the rest of our teachers went easier on us today than they normally would, and quite a few people came up to our class saying they hope Kiri's surgery goes well.

Once we were all back at the dorms, nearly everyone went straight to their rooms, dropped their backpacks off, changed out of their uniforms, and met back in the common room. About half of us crammed ourselves onto the biggest couch, and the rest spread out on the floor and across the other couches. I sat upside down with my head off the edge of the couch. Most of us mindlessly scrolled through our phones. I could see Kyouka and Fumikage writing in notebooks and showing each other, they're either exchanging music or poetry, a pretty regular occurrence for them. I'm not sure, but I think Denki is drawing something. I would be able to tell more easily if I was sitting upright, seeing as he's right next to me. We all stayed like this for a good half hour, if not more.

A loud ping simultaneously rang from everyone's phone. A banner across the top of my phone read "Mrs. Kirishima".

Mrs. Kirishima: Eijirou just got out of the OR about twenty minutes ago. He hasn't woken up yet due to the anesthetics, but he's in a much more stable condition, and should wake up before the end of the day. Thank you all so much.

There was a quiet moment while everyone read her text message. Then an eruption of cheers and cries. Followed by many, including myself, screaming "HE'S OKAY!"

Another ping came from our phones.

Mrs. Kirishima: He's going to have his next surgery on Sunday, and as long and everything goes well, his last one will be on Wednesday.

We yet again erupted into tears of joy, unable to hold back the overwhelming emotion from this news.

Once it was time we ate dinner in a much more cheerful manner than we had the past few weeks. The most difficult surgery was over, now he just has a few more.

During dinner a notification from the class group chat went off. We all looked at each other, confused as to who was using their phone to text our class chat during dinner when we were already in the same room. We all curiously opened our phones.

🗿Rock Boi🗿:  I'm alive! And I had over 3,000 notifications from this group chat alone, guess I'm just that popular!