⁀➷ 58- HATE IT

-𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲-

12 / 13 / 22 — TUESDAY

"...so yeah, I really don't know how I feel about him though."

"Wow, how much has been going on since you moved?" Callie asked. 

"It's so dry over here- I wish some good looking guys from your school would transfer over to ours," Lexi whined.

"Come on, you guys are in California. I'm sure there's a lot more potential guys out there than over here."

"No, for real! Everyone's moved away for some reason, and all the new kids are a no."

"Tess, what about Oliver? You guys are-"

I was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Go away, Mal! I told you I didn't take your mascara."

But someone else's head peeked in. "Actually, it's me."

"Oh, hey Jae. Whatcha doing here? I thought you were hanging with Mal?"

Jaehyun looked down at his hands, and I noticed he was fidgeting with his fingers. He cleared his throat and looked up at me again.

"It's just... God, it's literally been killing me, and I wanted to tell you but I was so scared- I just needed to tell you that... I really, really like you, Mels."

I was speechless for a moment.

"I tried to tell you yesterday but I couldn't, and I'm sorry for being so sudden, but I just had to get it off my chest, and I know you probably don't feel the same way, but... the thought of you has been driving me mad because it took me this long to realize that I liked you and-"

"Are you k-kidding?" I breathed. "Now you like me? R-right after all my feelings for you have gone away? I did  like you, a whole l-lot. I'm sorry but- I'm just- you couldn't have l-liked me a-anytime sooner?" I asked, stuttering heavily.

"I know, and I'm so sorry Mels, I tried not to think about you..."

I looked down in shame. "Why are you apologizing? I'm the one that's supposed to say sorry for turning you down."

Jaehyun smiled painfully. "I get it if you don't like me- I guess I thought I might have a chance."

"Jae, I really did like you, I just didn't think you could ever like me. I've finally gotten over you now, so..." I sucked in a breath. 

"Right. Um, I should probably get going." He gave me a small salut with his hand ( like the thing marcus does all the time if youve ever watched ginny&georgia ) and smiled, though I could see the disappointment in his eyes. "See you around."

After he left, I closed my room door and clutched my head in frustration. I angrily grabbed a stuffed animal and threw it across the room.

"WHY THE HELL, JAE?" I screamed.

"That bad, huh?"

I leapt back, having forgotten that I never hung up on my friends.

"But Mel, I thought your stutter problem was gone?" Harper asked.

"It was gone, I haven't stuttered like this in forever... and now it's back," I groaned, upset that I was back to my old habit of stuttering when I was flustered or emotional in any way. "I need to go, I'll call you guys some other time."

"Aw, okay, take care, Mel."

"Love you guys."

As we always did, we kissed each other goodbye through the screens and hung up.

I tossed my phone aside, dashed to the front door after shoving on a pair of slippers, and ran as fast as I could over to Reese's house. 

I rang the doorbell twice to signal that it was me, and the door opened in an instant.

"Mel, what's wrong?"

"He did it," I whispered. "And I don't like him anymore. I'm so stupid. Why didn't I just tell him I like him too and save both of us the heartache? Why couldn't he have told me sooner? I hate this, Reese. I hate it so much."

like bfr , would you not be mad