⁀➷ 34- THE RETREAT

-𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲-

"Maybe I overpacked just a little bit..." I mumbled as Alec and Connor struggled to haul my travel bag into the RV.

"Just a little?" Callie burst out laughing.

With some begging, Callie, Tessa, Connor, Caleb, Alec, and I were allowed into the same RV. Harper and Asher weren't religious, Julian was Catholic, and Lexi had gone to see her grandparents over the weekend and couldn't make it, so it was pretty spacious with just the six of us.

We were getting comfortable and chatting excitedly- until the door opened again. 

Mark, who would be driving us, stepped in and took a quick head count. He was a college student who helped out at church as the technician.

"Only six in this one! Send someone over!" Mark shouted towards the other RVs outside.

Half a minute later, a brown haired boy's head poked in.

The atmosphere changed instantly. Everyone tensed, nobody daring to speak.

"Ian, you'll be riding in this one. Get settled guys, it's a five hour trip to the campsite..." Mark's voice droned on and on.

I forced myself to breathe and ignore the terrifying flashbacks.

10 minutes later, the trip finally began. Connor was being more protective than he needed to be and kept his arm around me the whole time. 

But we all knew Ian couldn't do anything to me while there was Mark. 

I leaned my head into Connor's shoulder, already half asleep with the awkward silence in the air.

( I SEE YOU SKZ FANS GOING "LIKE AWKWARD SILENCE" )

---

"Hey. Mel. Melody." 

A hand gently shook my shoulder. 

"Hm?" I mumbled sleepily. 

"C'mon, we're taking a lunch break."

The hand left my shoulder and tucked my hair behind my ear. I opened my eyes but shut them again, blinded by the sudden sunlight.

The person, who I assumed was Alec, pulled my arms around his neck and lifted me up into a piggy back ride and started to walk. I continued to doze off peacefully, not caring who it was.

Until another voice shouted, "Hey, get away from her!"

I tried to open my eyes and failed again, although they didn't hurt as much as the last time. I squinted to see what I guessed was a person running towards my direction.

"Woah, chill dude. I didn't do anything to her."

"Really? Can you really be saying even after seeing the bruises on her neck?!" the voice shouted.

I rubbed my eyes and yawned, finally adjusting to the brightness. I realized the one shouting had been Connor, and the person holding me was...

My eyes widened.

Ian.

"Um, I'm awake n-now. I think I can walk." 

Ian set me down and walked away to the picnic tables.

"Are you alright?" Connor demanded.

"I'm fine. He didn't do anything, I promise."

---

After we ate lunch, as I waited for Callie and Tessa, who were in the bathroom, Ian approached me. 

"Hey, Mel. I uh, just wanted to apologize properly."

I crossed my arms. "I'm listening."

"I'm really sorry for everything.I was an idiot, and I swear I'm not like I was anymore. Promise. I'm so sorry for hurting you. I know we can never go back to what we used to be, but... could we at least be friends again?"

I looked down at my worn out sandals, contemplating my answer. I finally looked back into Ian's hopeful eyes. 

"Alright," I replied. "We can be friends. But know your boundaries."

"I will."

He held out his hand, and we shook on it.

Talking the rest of the way back to the RV, Ian and I caught up on what we'd missed out on each other's lives. 

As soon as we entered the vehicle chatting together, Connor and Alec stopped mid-conversation to stare at us. 

---

After I explained our agreement, everyone seemed to relax little by little. By the time we had a bit more than an hour left, all seven of us were talking and laughing together just as things used to be.

I smiled. I couldn't have asked for things to work out better.

he did therapy and stuff , don't be alarmed lol 🙄