⁀➷ 12- PANIC

-𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲-

Saturday

"Melody! Swim practice starts in 10 minutes, hurry up!"

"Coming!" I yelled, quickly grabbing my swim bag. I threw on my black hoodie with the BTS symbol on it (my favorite). I pulled on some gray sweatpants, put my hair in a simple side braid, and went downstairs.

"Melody, did something happen yesterday?" my mom asked. "You looked like you were crying."

"I'm fine. Just my allergies," I lied.

---

After Mom dropped me off at the YMCA, I went to the hallway that separated the boys' and girls' locker rooms. As I walked towards the girls' door, I noticed a certain someone coming out of the boys' room.

Oh crap. I forgot Ian comes to practice too...

I pulled the hood of my hoodie up, concealing my face, and all but ran into the girls' locker room.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I quickly pulled out my swimsuit and groaned when I realized I'd packed one of my old ones that was too small for me.

Frustrated, I shoved it back into my bag and went to the basketball court, which was next to the pool. I popped in my airpods to listen to music and went to the top row of the bleachers. I had a whole free hour.

I leaned against the wall and watched the people below who were playing basketball.

I kept my eye on a guy in a red hoodie who seemed... oddly familiar.

Wait, is that Ian? Why isn't he at the pool for practice?

Confused, I paused the song and watched him closely as he missed a shot.

My heart started fluttering wildly as I scolded it.

Stupid crush! Why are you still like this? He led you on, dropped you for Macy, then had the nerve to freaking kiss you. Who's to say he won't let you down again?

That was when a girl with blonde ringlets came in, catching my attention.

Great. So now I can't even think about Macy without her showing up and ruining my life?!

"Hey," she smirked as she walked up to Ian.

"Oh, hi," Ian mumbled, continuing to shoot.

Macy caught the ball as it came bouncing back after it hit the rim.

She threw the basketball perfectly into the hoop, and both Ian and my eyes grew wide.

Well of course Little Miss Perfect is good at everything.

Ian turned to her. "How did you do that?" he asked.

"I could show you, but I want something in return."

"Which is...?"

Macy's smirk grew wider as she stepped closer to Ian.

"Another kiss."

I resisted the urge to groan as they stepped even closer together.

That's it. I'm getting out of here.

I grabbed my bag and got off the bleachers.

I pulled my hood up even more as I silently walked out and went to the hallway nearby that was always empty.

I sat in silence with my music for a few minutes until I heard the voice of a person I now hated.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't our Queen of Rejection."

I looked up to see Reese in swim trunks, a towel wrapped around his shoulders.

"What do you want?" I mumbled, going back to my phone.

Reese kneeled down so that his hazel eyes were on the same level as my eyes.

"You're mad at me, aren't you?" he asked.

"I think you just answered your own question," I replied, still not looking at him.

We were both silent for a while until I finally looked at him and whispered, "Why'd you do it?"

Reese took my hands into his, and me flinched ever so slightly. "Isn't it obvious? I like you. A lot. Heck, I'm probably obsessed by now."

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"Yeah." he looked down at our twined hands. "Since last year."

I just stared at him, dumbfounded. "Reese... I don't know what to say. You're not the one I-" before I could finish my sentence, I noticed Ian was walking towards us, his eyes fixated on me.

Panicking, I leant forward and planted my lips on Reese's, making him fall backward in surprise.

He kissed me back, but I pulled away quickly and ran away, passing Ian, who was frozen in shock.

When I reached the back door, I went outside, panting.

What did I just do?

YOU MADE THE STUPIDEST DECISION YOU COULD EVER MAKE AT THE TIME YOU IDIOT-

-Emmie