⁀➷ 37- PRINCEVILLE

-𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲-

Friday

"Alright then, your first day will be next Wednesday. Welcome to Princeville Middle School, Melody!"

I smiled back at the office lady as my mom and I exited the building. 

"This school seems promising. Are you excited?" Mom asked as I buckled my seatbelt.

I shrugged.

I just miss California.

In all honesty, the school was pretty lit. It was so big, anyone could have mistaken it for a college. We'd even moved to a bigger house, which was also an added bonus. So was having a walk in closet nearly the same size as my room. 

The big minus was everything else about moving here.

---

"Hey, Mel! How are you holding up?"

"Not too bad, I guess. It's only been like three days. My mom and I went to the school I'll be going to, and it's great... but I'm still kinda tempted to shove myself into one of these boxes and mail myself back home."

Lexi's laugh was so loud I had to hold my phone away from my ear.

"We really miss you. Especially Connor. Have you had a chance to talk to him yet?"

I groaned. "No. You're the first person I've had the time to talk to."

"Well, let me tell you, he's been a total mess." Lexi sighed and continued, "Connor's been showing up to school with the same gray sweatpants on ever since you left, his hair is a disaster, and all he does is complain about how much he misses you!"

I sucked in a breath.

"Just call him. Gotta go now, bye!"

"Wait, Lexi-"

The three beeps from my phone let me know she had hung up.

Well... I guess it's time to call Connor.

"Hey, sun."

"Hey, Con. How you doing?"

"Horrible. Tessa and Lexi keep chiding me about my clothes and how I 'look like I haven't showered in days.' I hope it's going better for you. Have you started school yet?"

"My first day is Wednesday. Is it that bad over there? Lex told me you've been a hot mess lately."

Connor sighed. "Yeah. I miss you, sunshine."

"I know, and I miss you too. So much. But you can't dwell on your sadness forever. Move on without me. And maybe take a shower."

"Alright. Promise me you'll call again soon?"

"Of course."

---

Tuesday

I... didn't keep my promise with Connor. I found it difficult to call or text him for some reason, so I just didn't. I was already stressed enough for my first day at my new school! Of course, I dumped everything on my friends.

"...and what if I was unaware of some new bad trend and I go to school wearing something weird?" I continued to fret while digging through a clothing pile in the middle of my new room. "Ugh, where is that stupid skirt?"

"Relax, Mel. You're going to be fine," Harper reassured me as I searched through my clothes, half of them still unpacked.

"My first day is tomorrow! You know how seriously I take first impressions, Harper! Oh crap that reminds me- I still need to figure out which box has my jewelry case in it... I swear if I don't find it in time-"

"You have nothing to worry about. You're the new girl. I'm pretty sure everyone's going to be nice to you, some guys," my friend said with an extra wiggle of her eyebrows.

"Let's change the topic," I mumbled, looking away from my phone screen. "How are things with you and Thomas? I didn't get much from my last update from Lex..."

---

When I at last found myself ready to sleep, it was nearly midnight. But I was ready to face tomorrow's nightmare.

speaking of which , i still have an essay i need to finish-

-Emmie