⁀➷ 41- SECRET SECRET

-𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲-

November 29, 2021

Nope.

I didn't have a single text from Connor when I woke up. And it was my birthday at that!

Jen yawned, waking up. "Happy birthday, bestie," she said sleepily with a hug.

I turned my phone off.

Whatever. He's probably asleep.

---

We got to school, where I was thankfully too busy to think about Connor.

My whole first period sang happy birthday to me, which was sweet yet also embarrassing. I had a feeling Oliver was behind it.

Speaking of Oliver, I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't help being attracted to him in a way. It wasn't like I had a crush on him or anything, but I did find him really attractive. Not to mention he was hot.

Although, I couldn't do that to Connor. I couldn't let the whole Ian and Connor situation happen all over again.

I confided this to my friends. They were understanding, and I was glad to have them on my side.

But how well do you really know people you've known for less than a month?

As I walked into 5th period, I noticed Oliver didn't greet me as usual. He sat on his desk talking to his friends like he always did, but he didn't even bother to look at me.

Confused, I sat down in my seat. I was chatting with Daniel when I felt someone tap my shoulder.

"Hey." It was one of Oliver's friends, Ben. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Dude, stop," Oliver muttered, nudging him. Ben ignored him and kept his gaze on me.

"Sure," I replied.

"Do you like Oliver?"

My heart nearly stopped beating.

"W-what?"

"Oliver. You like him?" Ben repeated.

Thankfully, I didn't have to answer because our teacher walked in, starting class.

I kept one hand on the side of my face, trying to hide my flushed cheeks throughout the entire class period.

When the bell finally rang, I couldn't be happier. Fortunately, Ben was a bus rider, so he left. Now, I was trapped in the same room as Oliver.

Please don't talk to me, please don't talk to me, please don't-

"Melody?"

I brushed past him and asked to use the bathroom. Once inside, I leaned against the wall, my chest about to explode.

There was no one else but Jenna, Madelyn, and Anna who could've told him because no one else knew.

The bell rang on my way back to the classroom. I gathered my things slowly and took the long way to the car line. There were a few people I didn't want to face.

"Melody! Where were you?" Maddie questioned worriedly.

"Who was it?" I demanded. "Which one of you had the audacity to tell him?"

"What are you talking about?" Jen asked.

"One of you told him. You'd better fess up."

"Ohhh." I turned to Anna. "That? Yeah, I hinted to Oliver that you might be into him," she said.

I nearly exploded then and there.

"What the hell, An? I thought you were my friend!"

"Yeah, and I still am. What's telling Oliver got to do with that?'

"Oh my- because it was a secret!"

Anna went silent. "Oh. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone?"

"No!" I exclaimed, exasperated. "I literally have a boyfriend!"

"I mean... he's a thousand miles away, so he won't find out right?"

"That doesn't matter- the point is you blabbed a secret of mine!"

"Sorry, I didn't know."

I sighed. "It's my fault. I guess I should've made it clear I didn't want you telling anyone."

---

The next day at school, there was already a hurricane of rumors about me and Oliver.

"Hi, Melody. Is it true that you're dating Oliver White?"

I just slammed my locker shut in the girl's face and walked away. This was the Connor situation all over again!

1st period had been awkward as heck, and I knew the rest of the day would be too, since I sat next to him in every single class except 4th period, the one class I didn't have with Oliver.

During 3rd period, which was Language Arts, the teacher let us choose if we wanted to read our class novel independently in the hallway or listen to the reader in the classroom.

Jenna and I went out into the hallway, while Oliver thankfully stayed in the classroom.

We took a good spot next to the stairway and sat down.

"Oh my gosh, Melody, I've been hearing crazy things about you all day!"

I sighed. "Don't even get me started on that."

Suddenly, Evan's face peeked out from around the corner. "Is it true that you like Oliver, Melody?"

On instinct, I quickly hid my face with my book with embarrassment.

"Oh shoo, Ev," Jen chided.

But the next thing I knew, Evan and Ben were sitting against the wall opposite of us.

"Does Oliver like you?" Ben asked.

I shrugged. "How am I supposed to know?"

"I think he does," Evan said.

I covered my face again. "Please don't make this worse than it already is," I groaned.

"Hey, you should go ask him!"

I gawked at Ben with bewildered eyes. "Dude, are you insane? Why would I?"

Evan smiled a smile that was somewhere in between a grin and a smirk. "Oliver likes you, and I know it."

STAWP CUZ I WAS COMING UP WITH A TITLE FOR THIS AND THEN SECRET SECRET BY STRAY KIDS CAME UP ON MY PLAYLIST-

-emmie