⁀➷ 4O- POOL PARTY

-𝐌𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐝𝐲-

After such a long and stressful day, all I wanted to do was go home and sleep. But there were four people on the other side of the country wanting to know all about my first day of school.

"So how was it?"

"Did you make any friends?"

"Mmm-hmm. You won't believe who I saw here though," I replied, laughing internally as I imagined how shocked my friends would be when I told them about Reese.

"Who?"

"Reese. Nathan. Hall."

All four of my friends' jaws dropped in an instant.

"REESE?!"

"WHAT?"

"NO. WAY."

"Well, I didn't even know he'd moved. I mean, I did assume he did since he just stopped showing up at school one day."

"Oh yeah, I heard Oliver and some other guys talking about him," Tess said.

"Speaking of Oliver's... there's this guy I met, Oliver White. Kinda looks like Oliver Bryant. But like a taller, less emo version."

"Hey now, don't forget about Connor too quickly," Callie reminded me with a laugh. "Have you called him?"

I shook my head. "No, not yet. This whole long distance thing is tough," I replied with a sigh.

"He's doing better now," Lexi said. "Although, Sasha and Stacey had like a literal war over Connor."

"Wait, what?"

Harper laughed. "Yeah, no one was happier when you left than Stacey and Sasha. They were screaming at each other in the hallway over Connor and now they hate each other's guts."

Hmm. I could picture that.

"I should probably call him then... bye guys."

I hung up and called Connor.

"Sunshine!"

"Hey, Con. What's up?"

"Not much. I mean, unless you count Sasha and Stacey screaming at the top of their lungs trying to claim me a big deal, then not much. What about you? How was your first day?"

Connor and I ended up talking for 5 hours. And after finally ending the call, I realized that being long distance might not be as difficult as I'd thought.

---

The days flew by, and I was living my best life in Princeville. I had so many new friends and became much more popular than I'd been in California- not to mention I'd only been here for a week and a half.

In all honesty, everything was great.

But.

All good things come to an end.

It was the first week of November when I was bored and decided to call Connor.

Since the time zones were different, it was almost impossible to talk to any of my California friends, and it had been nearly a week since I'd last talked to Connor.

For some reason, Connor didn't pick up. I found it odd since he always answered my calls in a matter of seconds.

But thinking he was probably just busy, I didn't think too much of it, and time went by.

It was a few days before my birthday when I called him again. It had been a total of 28 days since we'd called or texted.

Again, Connor didn't answer.

Of course, this began to worry me, and I vented to my friends at school.

"He's literally never not answered my calls before," I said with my head in my hands. "Oh my gosh, what if something happened to him?"

"If something happened, I'm sure your friends would have told you already," Jen reassured me. "I'm sure he'd just busy or something. Or maybe he got his phone taken away."

"Or he could've dropped it in the toilet," Madelyn shrugged.

"But it's been nearly a month," I sighed. But a sudden thought popped into my head, making me sit up straight. "What if he's... cheating?"

Anna shook her head. "He'd be an idiot to cheat on you."

But it's still a possibility...

---

It was the day before my birthday, and I was having a huge pool party. Jenna, Anna, and Madelyn had come early to help me decorate the place.

I invited Daniel, who lived across the street. As a step forward to forgiving him, I called Reese as well.

I'd invited a total of 16 people, so it was pretty crowded by the time everyone arrived.

Everything was going well until I spotted a girl I didn't know who seemed familiar.

I walked up to her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Um, hi, do I know you? What are you doing at my birthday party?"

She turned around with an annoyed expression.

"It's Abby Harris. I'm looking for-"

"Abby?" Oliver's voice spoke from behind me. "What the heck are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you, Ollie!" she answered, jumping into his arms looking up at Oliver with the most desperate eyes I'd ever seen.

Oliver rolled his eyes, looking annoyed while trying to push the obsessive girl off of him. "Were you even invited?"

I cleared my throat. "No. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

Abby frowned and scoffed. "Sorry, I don't have to listen to you."

Seriously? Man, what is this girl's problem?

I tried to keep my cool and replied, "Actually you kinda do, since this is my house and my party, and you weren't invited." I gave her a fake giggle. "Sorry."

She let out a huff and thankfully left.

I turned to Oliver. "Who is that girl?" I demanded. I had to say I was kinda mad she'd ruined my perfect day.

Oliver groaned. "That was my ex, Abby. I broke up with her months ago, but she's still as persistent as ever and hovers around me like an helicopter- just like when we were dating."

"Sounds like a brat," I muttered.

Oliver smiled. "Hey, it's your birthday. Come on, it's time for you to open your presents."

I got so many cute things from all my friends, including a whole basket of gifts from Reese. It made me realize how sorry he actually was.

I had to admit it was a pretty perfect day, and I was exhausted by the end of the party.

Jenna stayed to help me clean up, and she ended up sleeping over.

"Who you texting?" she asked after we'd changed into our pajamas.

"Connor. I'm sending him some pics from the party."

Jen jumped onto my bed and cuddled with my stuffed animals. "I just had an idea. If he's screening your texts, send him something he'll have to reply to."

I racked my brain until I thought of something.

"What'd you send?"

I flushed. "I told him I missed him in Korean."

"I bet you you'll have over 50 texts by the time we wake up."

yep , your girlie is semi-fluent in korean 😎✨

-emmie