Dinner For VI

"what's this..?" Kai whispers to Taehyun, who's sitting on his right. and he points at a piece of food Soobin had laid on his plate.

apparently, Soobin has super hearing because he answers almost immediately to the question before Taehyun can even say a pips. 

"pork, it's meat" he says with a mouthful, "good for your health, makes you strong". he says with a serious face, and gestures Kai to eat fast while it's still hot.

the younger looks on his plate, appalled by the fact that there's a dead animal on his plate. it feels wrong to eat it..

as far as he can remember, his parents could never afford something as pricey as meat. it was like a luxury to them. and being only 9 year old, he has not fully grasped the idea of "meat" before, or that it actually comes from a living thing.

the younger shakes his head subtly, and pushes the piece away with mixed feeling. he doesn't want them to think he's being ungrateful. but he can't bring himself to put that in his mouth.

"what's wrong?" Yeonjun, who has his eyes mainly at Kai the entire time, content with seeing the younger stuff himself with delicious food.

"I don't think I can eat this Hyung.. I'm sorry...." Kai says quietly, hoping that the elder won't get upset.

Soobin squints his eyes, and directs his chopsticks at Kai.

"you need protein, Kai" he argues in a stern voice and Beomgyu beside him giggles at his Hyung's seriousness when it comes to their health. "especially right now, eat."

Kai fiddles with his utensils, listening to Soobin ramble about the importance and benefits of meat while Yeonjun tries to calm him down.

the whole situation fills a little comic. maybe because the last dinner they had was in that stingy motel, food consist of leftover ramen that had overcooked because they didn't have the right sized pot for making it. and the topic of discussion was... silence, mostly. and the Hyungs' fight right after.

now, the atmosphere is vastly different, with a bubbly vibe and Soobin talking about "well, maybe the pig wanted to be killed! all his friends died and he felt left out, kai. you're doing him a favor!" and many other along that line.

maybe... it all worked out after all.

"Binnie, calm down. let the kid be..." Yeonjun says, shoving a piece of pork in Soobin's mouth to finally shut that guy up.

he smiles at Kai, that once again, stares at their dynamic with astonished, yet amused eyes. he points at another bawl at the left left corner of the table, and grabs a few square pieces of what's in there.

"here." he sets them in Kai's plate and takes the pork piece away. "this is tofu, it's made with soy beans.... try it" he suggest. good thing he made more than he's used to. who would've thought that Kai would turn out to be a vegetarian? 

the whole table's focus is on Kai as he tried the food with suspicion. nodding enthusiastically while he tastes it to let Yeonjun know that he likes it.

"tasty?" Yeonjun asks with excited eyes and a satisfied face while Soobin eats his food while muttering like an old grumpy grandpa.

"the kid has broken bones but sure... let's give him Tofu. that'll help" the sarcasm drips from his words.

Yeonjun gives Soobin a light smack on the shoulder and shakes his head as if to show how done he is with his lover's nonsense.

"so he's vegetarian.." the eldest says casually. "there's many things I can make for him that are just as good as meat." he adds, and pops a pickled radish into his mouth.