Chapter Eight

Darcy and Peggy stepped out of Chris's truck the moment they were outside Darcy's house. Just by the look of the outside, Darcy felt hopeful when it came to the state of her house. She lead Peggy to her garage where the tarps were located.

"We can check out the damage once Chris is done fixin' up our house." Peggy said, and Darcy nodded.

Darcy grabbed one of her two purple tarps, before she and Peggy climbed back into Chris's truck. They drove back to Peggy's, before heading to the back where Chris was on the roof placing the tarp for the kitchen.

"Toss it up!" Chris exclaimed, and Darcy did as told.

"I hope you don't mind that the tarp's purple." She commented, causing him to chuckle.

"A tarp's a tarp in my book." He replied, and she nodded.

About twenty minutes later, Chris was finally done placing down the tarps, and Peggy and Darcy had set out tall buckets to collect any water that might try to come through.

"You two ready to check out Darcy's place?" Chris asked, and the girls nodded.

Chris placed the three dogs in the bed of the truck, before he climbed into the cab with Darcy and Peggy. When they got to Darcy's, Chris went around outside looking for damage. The only damage was her outside furniture was destroyed. They then went inside to look for damage. Other than a cracked window, her house seemed fine.

"They're double pane windows, so no rain is getting in." Darcy commented, as she took a picture of the damage.

She also took a picture of her destroyed furniture in the backyard.

"You two can stay here until you fix up your place, if you want. I know it can take time and costs a lot, and I don't want you two staying in a house that's damaged." Darcy said, and Peggy smiled.

"You sure?" Peggy asked, causing Darcy to nod.

"Wouldn't offer if I wasn't," She answered,"You two go get some stuff. I'll feed the dogs, and try to fix us some dinner." She added, and her friends nodded.

"We'll be back in a few." Chris replied, before he and his wife left the house.

Darcy pulled out an extra food and water bowl for Dodger, before pouring food and water into each bowl on the floor. Once the dogs were fed, Darcy looked all through her pantry for food that would suffice for the time being. Moments later, Peggy and Chris came back into the house with some of their things.

"I've got peanut butter, canned fruit, and a few MREs from Riley. She bought them after swearing I needed some for cases such as this." Darcy commented, as she glanced over what she had.

"I didn't know Riley was in the army." Peggy said, and Darcy nodded.

"She joined when she was eighteen until she was twenty five. It's been about a year and a half since she was honorably discharged. She had been shot in the hip and almost bled out, so she didn't have to go back," Darcy replied, shuttering at the memory,"These aren't military grade MREs, but they're pretty much the same. Military MREs are specifically for the military, but these come with the same food as the military MRE."

"MREs are fine." Chris answered, making Darcy nod once again.

Darcy grabbed three different MREs, as well as three cans of soda, before she set them down on the table. If she remembered correctly, each MRE meal came with an entree, a side dish, cracker or bread, spread for the cracker or bread, a dessert, and some type of candy.

Chris was given an entree of buffalo chicken, Peggy was given beef shredded in barbecue sauce, and Darcy got beef ravioli. They traded between each other when it came to spreads and candy, but other than that, they were happy with what they got.

"I'll call the electric company after we eat." Chris commented, and the girls nodded.

"I'll show you guys to the room you'll be sharing later." Darcy said, as she grabbed her trash can to throw away their garbage.

About two hours later, the power came back on, and the three were able to freely move around the house. Darcy showed the couple to the room they'd be staying in, before she went to her room to change into pajama pants.

"Don't change too much. Ya never know if we've got to run out to the shelter in the middle of the night or not." Peggy said, after letting herself into Darcy's room.

"Should I leave some shoes next to my bed?" She asked, and Peggy nodded.

"I would. It's the best idea." She answered, as Darcy sighed.

Darcy wasn't a big fan of the tornadoes, but she was going to eventually get use to how the weather worked around the area.

"Chris said he'll start repairs on the house with the wood he's got, then he'll finish the rest once we've got the money." Peggy commented, causing Darcy to frown.

"Y'know, I can always give you guys the money you need to fix your house. I'm not trying to kick you out or anything, I just know it's not always easy to get up enough money to do repairs on a house," Darcy said,"Besides, I've got to get a gate for my front porch, so I can always take you and Chris to get the things you need for repairs." She added, but Peggy shook her head.

"We don't do handouts. We're not charity." Peggy retorted, crossing her arms.

"I'm not saying you are, I'm just trying to be a good friend," Darcy replied,"Look, you guys can always see it as a loan, and you can pay me back whenever you get the chance." She offered, and Peggy sighed.

"Let me talk to Chris about it, then I'll get back to ya." She replied, and Darcy simply nodded.

She didn't want to upset her friends, she just wanted to help out...

××××××××

A/N: I googled the stuff for the MREs and went off the information it gave me. If something isn't right, blame google.