fifty-five - grief's greatest

CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE,
grief's greatest
————

CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE,grief's greatest ————

————

AS ELLIE STEPPED down the stairs, cleaned up and rested after the run she'd been on, she spotted AJ in the living room.
"Hey, what's up?" The Dixon girl flopped on the couch next to him, motioning him to rest his head on her lap. He didn't amasser, or move.
"AJ, what is it?" She pushed. The boy sighed.
"I miss Noah." He finally let out, taking the cross necklace from his pocket. "When I wear this, I can't help but wish he'd kept it. Maybe he'd still be alive."
Ellie sighed, pushing herself from the sofa and kneeling in front of her brother. She placed her hands over his. "AJ, it wasn't your fault. I don't want you to think that."
"But, he said it brought luck. And if he had it, he'd have been lucky." The Dixon boy pushed his topic. "He'd still be alive, Ellie!" Tears were in his eyes and his lip wobbled.
"Oh, honey." Ellie brushed his hair from his face. "It wasn't you. He died because of the mistakes of someone else. You couldn't have done anything. I promise you."
AJ nodded, staring at the necklace before crashing into his sister. He wrapped his arms around her neck, crying lightly into her shoulder. Ellie's eyes stung, but she took a deep breath and held him tighter. It was easy to forget he was simply a little boy. He didn't have as much experience of the world before like she did. And it made her incredibly upset.
"We'll be okay, AJ. I promise you that." The Dixon girl mumbled to him. "We are gonna beat the word. We're not just gonna survive, we're gonna live."

————

this is a super super super short chapter, but i'm posting it as a promise that i'll update with more within the following week. it's also to show more on aj and ellie's relationship. thanks for staying tuned in on my extremely unreliable schedule:)