nineteen - infected

CHAPTER NINETEEN,
infected
————

CHAPTER NINETEEN,infected————

————

ELLIE SLEPT A lot better than she should have. Especially after what she saw today. But it always happens, always. She didn't like goodbyes, either.

The fourteen year old sighed as she laid down in her cell, the small lamp she'd found being the only source of light.

"Hey, Ellie." AJ appeared at the door, a pillow clutched to his chest tightly.

The Dixon girl sat up on her elbows and smiled. "Hey AJ, you okay?"

"I can't sleep." He mumbled. "The walkers are too loud down there."
Ellie nodded. "Come lay down, we'll have a sleep over tonight." She slid over, making room for the boy.

As soon as he was laying, Ellie pulled her blanket over their legs and pulled him close to her chest.

"You'll be alright. Just focus on your breathing and you'll fall asleep." She mumbled. AJ nodded, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

Daryl walked down the hall, wishing to check on his kids when he couldn't find AJ in his cell. He grew slightly panicked, but as soon as he passed Ellie's cell, he stopped.

Leaning against the wall, he smiled softly at the two sleeping soundly on the same bunk. He stepped inside, clicking off the lamp light before walking out silently.

————

THE SCREAMS OF both sorrow and pain woke both Ellie and AJ from a peaceful sleep. She checked the Whiting boy before sliding from the cot quietly.

"Stay here." She grabbed her knife and gun, not even bothering to yank of her shoes before she left the cell. She made sure to pull the barred door closed behind her.

"Ellie?" Karen, one of the people brought over from Woodbury caught sight of the girl.

"Karen, what the hell is going on?" The Dixon rushed over, dodging the blood smeared on the ground.

The woman sniffed. "I don't know. I just woke up and saw all the blood, the heard the screams, and-"

"Okay, stay here. I'll be right back." Ellie grabbed her gun from its holster, carefully walking into another cell block.

Instantly, she was faced against the horrible smell of death that basically slapped against her face. She looked over her shoulder at steady shuffling and gasped.