thirty-one - devastating hope

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE,
devastating hope
————

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE,devastating hope————

————

ELLIE WAS BEAMING more then normal today. The excitement of getting Beth back was rushing through her veins and making her jittery.

She walked with Carl to the Father who was furiously scrubbing his floors.

They laid out a gun, a hatchet, a hunting knife, a rifle, and a machete, waiting a minute before they spoke up.

"Pick one." Carl motioned to the weapons. "You need to learn how to defend yourself. We can teach you."

Gabriel stopped scrubbing. "Defend myself? They said they'd go."

"They were lying. That's who they were, liars and murderers." Ellie reminded him, crossing her arms defensively.

"Just like us." The Father shook his head.

"We protected ourselves. They ate Bob's leg for Christ's sake!" The brunette girl scoffed.

"You're lucky your church has lasted this long." Carl piped in before the girl could get even more aggravated. "You can't stay in one place anymore. Not for too long. And-And once you're out there, you're gonna find trouble you can't hide from. You need to know how to fight."

Gabriel looked at the weapons before timidly picking up the machete. He held it in between his finger tips as if it would come alive and bite him where he sat.

"Good choice." Carl nodded. "But, you're not holding it right. You've gotta be able to drive it down 'cause sometimes the skulls aren't as soft and you need to be able to-"

"I'm sorry." Gabriel cut the boy off, swallowing thickly. "Oh...I need to lie down." He walked into his office and closed the door tightly. Ellie suppressed a laugh.

"I think you came on a little to strong, Carl." She patted his shoulder reassuringly. He shrugged lightly.

"He's gotta learn, Ellie. He's...he's weak." He mumbled, stepping closer to the girl to make sure the man in question couldn't hear.

"I get that, I do." Ellie shifted closer to him as well. "But you've gotta remember, he's been behind these walls this whole time. He's never killed a walker before. He needs time to process."

Carl glanced at his feet, the rim of his hat bumping Ellie's nose, causing her to reel back with a laugh.

"Watch the hat, Sheriff. You'll take someone out." She flicked the brim, causing it to fly off his head.