seventeen - nothing good

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN,
nothing good
————

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN,nothing good————

————

CARL FOUND THE Dixon kids shortly after their father went out. He told them Rick wanted to have a talk with everyone, and that he was gathering the group.

So, now that sat and waited as Rick, Maggie, and Glenn made their way towards them.

"When I met with the Governor," The leader started. "He offered me a deal. He said—He said he would leave us alone if I gave him Michonne. And I was gonna do that...to keep us safe."

Carl put his head down, so Ellie put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"But I changed my mind. But now Merle took Michonne to fulfill the deal and Daryl went to stop him and I don't know if it's too late." Rick took a deep breath. "I was wrong not to tell you. And I'm sorry. What I said last year, that first night after the farm...it's can't be like that. It can't. What we do, what we're willing to do, who we are, it's not my call. It can't be. I couldn't sacrifice one of us for the greater good because-because we are the greater good. We're the reason we're still here, not me. This is life and death. How you live...how you die—It isn't up to me. I'm not your Governor. We choose to go. We choose to stay. We stick together. We vote. We can stay and we can fight or we can go." And with that, he was gone.

Ellie sat there, as did the rest of them, thinking his words over in their heads again and again.

AJ shivered, as the weather was growing cold. Beth even had a beanie on her head.  They had to stay. They just had to.

When Michonne walked back into the yard, the Dixon kids immediately ran to her.

"Michonne!" AJ called her attention. "Where's dad?"

"He went after his brother. Merle let me go." The woman put her hands on their shoulders. "He's alive. He is."

It wasn't until the next day that Daryl wandered back to the prison. And when he did, Ellie knew something was wrong.

"Dad? Dad, what's wrong?" She ran to him quickly, seeing his red and puffy eyes. "Dad, what happened? Please, where's Merle?"

Daryl cough a sob. AJ glanced up at the brunette before crashing into his found fathers embrace. Daryl dropped to his knees, holding both of his kids tightly as he cried.

Ellie saw from over Daryl's shoulder as Rick and Glenn ran up. She held her free hand up, stopping them in there tracks.

"Merle?" Glenn mouthed to her, panting heavily. The girl shook her head.