forty-five - cleaning

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE,
cleaning
————

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE,cleaning————

————

DENISE APOLOGIZED REPEATEDLY as she took the needle in and out of Ellie's skin. She gripped a towel, holding it in her mouth to muffle her screams of pain.

"I'm sorry, Ellie." Denise mumbled before placing a cold gauze pad on her wound.

It wouldn't have been that bad of an experience if the gauze was dry, but the new doctor had drenched it in alcohol to clean her wound in any places she might have missed. And it stung like hell.

Ellie groaned loudly, slamming the heel of her boot against the cot as Denise held it to her.

"Oh, God." The Dixon girl mumbled before smiling softly. "It's okay, I'm good."  Denise wrapped her wound, helping her get up and allowing her to go back to her house.

Ellie sat down on the couch, leaning back and closing her eyes. She felt it shift and dip from another persons weight.

"Hi, Carl." The Dixon girl didn't even open her eyes.

"How'd you know that was me?" He asked her softly.

"I just know." She shrugged. "What'd you need?"

"Just to make sure you were okay. I'm gonna head out in a minute with AJ and Mimi. We're gonna help get some of the bodies off the streets, separate who needs to get buried and who needs to get burned." The Grimes boy pushed up. Ellie opened her eyes and stood as well.

"Oh, I'll come too." She grunted as she stood.

"No, no. Sit your ass back down." Mimi pointed towards the couch. "You could pop your stitches."

"I'll be fine. I'm gonna pop a vein if we keep talking about this. Come on." She opened the front door and walked down the stairs.

Everyone who was able bodied gathered at the front gates, ready to help in whatever way they could. Deanna walked forward, calling everyone's attention to her.

"Everyone! Everyone, please." She shouted, the nervous chatter dying down quickly. "Maggie is going to take the lead for this clean up. I want everyone to listen to what she has to say and do what needs to be done, got it?" A collective mumbled of yes's and yes ma'am's rippled through the group.

"Okay, the way we do this is simple." The Rhee woman stepped up. "Our loved ones, the people in this community we lost today, they will get a proper burial. Anyone else, we'll take outside the walls and burn'em. We can't waste the time or energy to bury'em."