thirty-four - a possibility

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR,
a possibility
————

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR,a possibility————

————

ELLIE WAS ONE of the first people to wake. After the events of the night before, she was surprised she'd even gotten some sleep.

Gently maneuvering around AJ, the Dixon girl walked to where her father was leaned against the wall.

"Hey." She whispered, dropping down next to him. "How're you doing?"

Daryl stayed silent a moment, really thinking over his answer. "I'm gonna be okay." He finally admitted, fiddling with a sheathed knife.

"What's that?" Ellie changed the subject.

"It was Beth's. Carol gave it to me." The Dixon man mumbled before holding it out to the girl. "Here."

"No, she gave it to you." Ellie pushed it back towards her father.

"I think Beth would want you to have it. Despite everything that's happened to us, the two of you were closest." Daryl disagreed, holding it back towards her. Ellie took it from his hands gently.

"I'll hold onto it until your ready." She compromised, her father nodding softly. Just then, Maggie walked up to them and sat on Daryl's other side.

"You should get some sleep." The Rhee woman spoke to the archer.

"Yeah." He mumbled, both knowing he didn't mean it.

Maggie smiled softly. "It's okay to rest, now."

Daryl didn't answer, instead, the three of them looked over at a sleeping Sasha.

"He was tough." Daryl looked away, speaking of the fallen Williams man.

Maggie nodded. "He was."

"So was she." Daryl turned the conversation, each of them knowing who he spoke of. "She didn't know it, but she was." Maggie smiled.

Suddenly, the Dixon man reached around Ellie and grabbed the old music box Carl had given the Rhee woman. He passed it back to its rightful owner.

"The gearbox had some grit in it."

"Thank you." Maggie whispered softly. Both adults sending each other a small smile.

"The sun is gonna come up soon." Ellie leaned over. "You should take Sash."

Maggie nodded, pushing herself off the ground and walking to the still sleeping woman.