seven - taken

CHAPTER SEVEN,
taken
————

CHAPTER SEVEN,taken————

————

THE GROUP SAT around in silence, eating their breakfast and thinking over everything that had occurred.

"Everybody okay?" Rick's tired voice echoed through the dining area, altering everyone to the man's presence.

"Yeah, we are." Maggie sat up, watching as the cell door creaked open and their leader counted heads.

"What about you?" Hershel's kind voice never let the others on to what was truly going through his head.

"I cleared out the boiler block." The Grimes man avoided the question.

"How many were there?" Daryl spoke up.

Rick hesitated a moment. "I don't know. A dozen, two dozen. I have to get back, just wanted to check on Carl."

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies." Glenn stood up, wanting his friend to take a rest before doing anything else. "You don't have to."

"No, I do." He cut the asian man off, walking swiftly towards Daryl. "Everyone have a gun and a knife?"

"Yeah. We're running low on ammo, though." The Dixon man said calmly.

"Maggie and me were planning on making a run this afternoon." The Rhee man informed them. "Found a phone book with some places we can hit for bullets and formula."

"I'll go too." Ellie took a bite of her oatmeal.

"We cleared out the generator room. Axel's there tryin' to fix it in case of emergency." Daryl kept the Grimes man in the loop. "We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well."

"Good. Good." He muttered, quickly walking back towards the door.

"Rick!" Hershel tried to stop him, but the leader just ignored his words. With the slam of the door and his parting footsteps, the room fell back into silence.

Sitting in the back of the Bronco, Ellie fiddled with her hunting knife quietly.

"You okay back there?" Glenn glanced in the mirror at her.

"Hm? Oh, yeah." The Dixon girl leaned forward to look out the front windshield. "It's crazy how much the world has changed."

"What do you mean?" Maggie looked at her curiously.

"Well, before everything, the roads were always cleaner." She shrugged. "And that's saying something."

"Alright, that's a good point." Glenn chuckled. "You know, I was a pizza guy before it happened, so I was always on the road. It's definitely changed a lot."

"You were a pizza boy?" Ellie giggled as the Rhee man parked the car along side a strip of stores.

"Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up, kid." He rolled his eyes, opening his door with a grunt. Maggie stepped out as well, smiling from the interaction and helping Ellie climb out.