thirty-two - saying goodbye

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO,
saying goodbye
————

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO,saying goodbye————

————

EVERYONE WAS A mess for the next few days. Maggie, Ellie, and Noah sobbing any time they were alone. Daryl, too, but he'd never admit to it.

"It was secure." Rick spoke calmly to the group. "It has a wall, homes, twenty people. Beth wanted to go with him. She wanted to get him there." He sighed heavily. "It's a long trip, but if it works out, it's the last long trip we have to make."

"And what if it isn't around anymore?" Glenn asked gravely, not paying much kind to the fact Noah was standing right there.

"Then we keep going." The Grimes man reminded.

"Then we find a new place." Michonne corrected slightly.

The journey was long and tedious, the group getting tired multiple times or having to scour for more gas.

When they got closer, a small group went to finish the journey while the other hung back.

Tyreese drove with Noah in the passenger seat, Rick and Michonne next the middle row, and Glenn and Ellie in the very back.

"How far out?" Rick spoke, breaking through the silence.

Ellie leaned back against her seat, staring at the ceiling of the car as she waiting for Noah's response.

"Five miles." The young man guessed, checking the mileage they were working with now. Rick nodded, grabbing the walkie talkie.

"Hey, Carol." He alerted.

"I'm here." Carol crackled through the device.

"We're halfway there." The Grimes man informed. "Just wanted to check the range."

"Everybody's holding tight. We've made it five hundred miles. Maybe this can be the easy part." The short haired woman spoke hopefully.

"Gotta think we're due." Rick agreed. "Give us twenty minutes to check in."

"We don't hear from you, we'll come looking." Carol promised.

"Copy that." Rick ended the conversation.

Noah looked over at Tyreese. "I've been wanted to tell you something." He admitted.

Ty sighed. "What's that?" He asked genuinely.

"The trade. It was the right play. It worked. It did work." Noah's voice was quiet, grief and emotion still hidden behind his words. "Just, something else happened after."