thirty-six - running water

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX,
running water
----

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX,running water----

----

THE GATES RUMBLED open loudly as the group walked in.

Mimi glanced around, stopping to stare at a burnt church when she caught sight of a pretty girl with long brown hair.

"Hey, Ellie-" She turned briefly to call her friends attention, but when she turned back, the girl was gone.

"What's up?" The Dixon girl jogged over, trying to find whatever Mimi was looking at.

"Uh, never mind. Sorry." She cleared her throat and pushed forward.

There was a loud rattling next to them, causing the entire group to whirl around with their weapons raised.

Daryl released a bolt before leaning over and picking a possum up by its tail. "We brought dinner." He sassed, looking at a very nervous man.

Ellie almost lost it at the man's face, he looked like he'd just seen a ghost or a dragon with three heads.

"It's okay." Aaron mumbled to him, turning back to the group. "Come on in, guys."

They obeyed, walking in silently and looking around. The first barred gate closed behind them with an ear piercing squeak.

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons." The nervous man stammered, glancing at the arsenal they had on their person. "Stay, you hand'em over."

"We don't know if we wanna stay." Rick stepped forward, Judith fussing and babbling absentmindedly in his arms.

"It's-It's fine, Nicolas." Aaron muttered.

"If we were gonna use'em, we would've started already." The Grimes man continued with a blank face.

Nicolas glanced at Aaron nervously. "Let them talk to Deanna first." The scouter waved his distressed look off.

"Who's Deanna?" Abraham called from the back of the group.

"She knows everything you'd want to know about this place." Aaron explained vaguely. "Rick, why-why don't you start?"

The leader turned to glance at his group, but faltered when he saw a walker shuffling over to the gate.

"Sasha." He mumbled, causing the woman to turn and raise her gun. She pulled the trigger, shooting the monster in the head with ease as the secondary gate began to close.