twenty-four - soy milk

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR,
soy milk
————

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR,soy milk————

————

SITTING AT THE smallest dining table Ellie has ever seen, Michonne walked forward. Carl snickered softly at her.

"Do you have something to say about my extremely comfortable and attractive shirt?" She asked rhetorically, rolling the sleeves up and twirling to show them.

Ellie smiled brightly. "No, no, you look great."

"Oh, you missed a..." Carl pointed to an open button as the woman sat down.

"Wish we had some soy milk." The Hawthorne woman poured some cereal into a bowl.

Ellie and Carl looked at each other, a look of disgust passing them.
"Seriously?" Carl cringed.

"Yes, seriously." Michonne stood her ground. "Have you ever tried it?"

"My best friend in third grade, he was allergic to dairy." The Grimes boy started.

"Uh-huh." Ellie crossed her arms, listening intently.

"And every day he would bring this soy stuff to lunch. I tried it."
"And?" Michonne pushed.

"I threw up!" The boy laughed.

"Oh, yeah. Likely story." Ellie snickered. "My mom had me try some, it was so gross. She didn't even like it."

"Alright, alright." Carl laughed. "I almost threw up. But You was like , ugh!" He faked a dry heave. "It was so gross. I mean, literally, I would rather have powdered milk then to have to drink that stuff again. I would rather have Judith's formula-"

He cut himself off as his face fell, Michonne and Ellie mimicking his expression of loss.

He suddenly pushed up from his seat. "I'm gonna go finish my book. I have a couple chapters left."

Michonne sighed, glancing at Ellie. "Is she...?"

"We think." The Dixon girl nodded. "Her seat was bloody and we found AJ's shoe...next to it."

The Hawthorne woman placed a comforting hand on the girls. "I'm so sorry, Ellie."

Ellie smiled softly, placing her other hand on the womans, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'm okay. I'll go check on Carl."

"Hey." She called, leaning against the doorframe of the room. "Care if I join you?"

"No." He muttered softly, sliding over to make room. Ellie nodded, sitting down and sliding back. She leaned her head on the boys shoulder, reading the words from the book but not really picking them up.