thirty-eight - great gathering

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT,
great gathering
————

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT,great gathering————

————

AJ GRUMBLED LOUDLY. As word spread of Deanna's welcoming party, Rick and Carol insisted the group go, or at least try to, and AJ was not having it.

"Do we have to go? It sounds dangerous." He whined. Ellie couldn't help a laugh.

"Dangerous? How so?" She crossed her arms, leaning against the counter in the kitchen as Mimi dug through the cabinets.

"There's so many people going. It'll be loud, and...dangerous." The Dixon boy listed vaguely. Mimi turned around with furrowed eyebrows.

"That's...actually very true." She mumbled. "Buts it's okay, because we will be ready in case anything happens. Right, El?"

"Yup, plus, me and Mimi will watch out for you." Ellie smiled down at him. "We'll be okay. We've gotta try."

Carl caught up with Ellie as she sat on the front porch. He sat down next to her, looking out at the gate as she was.

"What do you think of this place?" He asked her suddenly. Ellie shrugged.

"It's okay. It's nice." She spoke quietly. "AJ doesn't want to go to the party. He thinks it'll be dangerous." She admitted while running a hand down her face. "He's too young to be thinking that way. I feel like I've not done a good job."

Carl looked at her with furrowed eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I've tried to keep him away from the dirty work. I want him to still be a kid but...he's already too grown."

"I think he's become a wonderful kid." The Grimes boy admitted. "I think you and Daryl have done a good job.

He's still a kid, he just knows how to watch out for himself and his sister." He nudged her knee with his own.

Ellie turned to him. "You think so?"

"I know so." Carl smiled softly. "Come on, we gotta get ready for that party."

————

THE DOOR CREAKED open, allowing the group to shuffle inside and look around. Deanna's house was decorated cutely, but it still made Ellie feel weird.

She'd never gone to a house party before, so it was strange to go to one during the apocalypse.

"Oh, my. Welcome!" Deanna walked over, a glass of red wine in her hands. Carol smiled and greeted the woman softly.