forty-seven - aiming

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN,
aiming
————

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN,aiming————

————

RICK FOUND THE Dixon girl on the front porch of the house with Carl. They weren't talking really, just sitting there, looking out at the street in a comfortable silence.

"Ellie, Carl." The Grimes man called their attention, motioning them to himself and Ron. The teens shared a glance before walking down the stairs calmly.

"Ron wants to learn how to shoot a gun, thought y'all might want some practice, too." He placed his hands on his hips, squinting from the sun.

Ellie nodded. "Sure, sounds good." They followed behind the man as he led them through the town.

While they were walking, they passed Gabriel who was hanging posters for a prayer circle later that day. Rick didn't hesitate to rip them down.

"Rick." Ellie scolded, stopping the group and holding her hand out for the one he hadn't crumbled up yet.

The Grimes man sighed, slapping the paper into her hand before walking off. Ellie jogged back over to the Father, taping it back into place wordlessly before running after them.

Rick took the teens to a small table set up near the wall in the back of town. An array of weapons littered the wooden surface.

"Handguns will be a little better for your first go." The Grimes man spoke softly. He picked up a gun, taking it apart to show the teens. "Magazine release. Slide release. Thumb safety."

"That's stuff's easy, right, Dad?" Carl asked smugly, glancing at the boy he used to call his friend. Ellie smacked his shoulder nonchalantly before smiling at Rick.

"Yeah." The leader appeared to miss the interaction. He slid the mag out of the gun. "Empty magazine." He slid the piece back in and pulled back on the top. "Empty chamber. See it?"

"Yeah." Ron muttered, tilting his head to look better. Rick nodded, turning around to face the wall.

"Someone's in front of you, they have a gun." He began.

"You're gonna be scared." Carl added in. Ron glanced over unconvinced. "You will be."

"You're body's gonna tense, you won't have time to think. You're just gonna want to pull the trigger when you get it in front of you." Rick demonstrated, pulling the trigger to receive a click in return. "But you'll miss and you'll be dead. You have to get it up to your eye." He demonstrated again.

"You've gotta have enough strength to wait for the right time. You've gotta play your cards right." Ellie added in gently. Ron cut his eyes at her before rounding the table.