twenty-seven - meals

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN,
meals
————

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN,meals————

————

AFTER EVERYONE WAS introduced and hugs were given to reuniting friends, it was time to get down to business.

Ellie gave three of her remaining knives to Glenn, Abraham, and Daryl, the others used whatever they had on them to make weapons.

"They seemed nice enough, but I was ready to go." Abraham Ford, the ginger man, explained as he sharpened a piece of wood. "We just got here, but, damn, it was time to go."

Rosita Espinosa and her sister Maria sharpened their belt hooks, wrapping the leather straps around their arms tightly.

"When I told them about DC, a wink and a nod from the head asshole in charge, and they pulled their guns and it was right back to our regularly scheduled shitstorm."

Glenn used the chain from his watch to saw pieces of wood from the corners, passing them to Ellie and Carl who would sharpen them to a fine point.

"Before they put you in here, you didn't see Tyreese?" Sasha asked hopefully.

"No." Michonne shook her head, using a shoelace to tie the sharpened wood to her sword sheath.

"Good." The Williams woman sighed.

"Black car with a white cross painted on it." Daryl described to Maggie as he and Rick ripped zippers from jackets. "I tried to follow it. I tried."

"But, she's alive?" Maggie's hands shook.

"She's alive." The Dixon man confirmed.

The group worked silently, Daryl keeping watch, while they listened to other peoples faint pleads of mercy.

"Alright, got four of them pricks coming our way." The Dixon man warned. Everyone stood, shuffling into position.

"Y'all know what to do. Go for their eyes first." Rick reminded. "Then their throats."

Ellie glanced at Carl, sending him a nod of assurance. She then glanced to Maria, both girls holding determined looks on their faces.

"Put your backs to the walls on either side of the car, now!" A man ordered, none of the group members obeying.

Suddenly, the top of the car opened and a canister was dropped to the ground. Everyone stared for a second.