two - clearing

EPISODE TWO,
clearing

————

————

THAT'S WHY WE have to go in there...hand to hand."

Rick's words from the night before rang in everyone's head as they woke with the sun.

AJ didn't want to rouse, however. So, Ellie did the only thing she knew would wake him in an instant.

"AJ, walkers!" She shouted, not only completing her mission, but also alerting the others. "Sorry." She muttered to them half hazardly.

"Ellie! How many times have I told you not to do that?" The Whiting boy sighed, tucking his knife back into its holster.

The girl in question just shrugged, laughing softly at the roll of his eyes. "Maybe you should start waking up when I tell you to."

"Okay, hey!" Rick called for everyone's attentions. "Alright, here's what we're gonna do: T, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, and I will clear these walkers out." He motioned to the small group behind the closest fence. "Hershel, you get the gate. Everyone else, draw as many to the fence as you can; take them out there."

Each and every person in their relatively large group nodded in confirmation before getting into positions.

Hershel stood by the sliding gate, hooking his fingers around the chain length. "Ready?" He glanced over the running group, his eyes lingering worriedly on his eldest daughter.

Rick nodded, unhooking the clasp on the fence before pushing the gate open.

The group filed in, staying close together as they poked and prodded the walkers.

"Get tight! Get tight!" Glenn warned as more and more undead shuffled towards them.

The rest of the group took his words as cue to start calling for the monsters.

"Hey! Over here!" Lori shook the fence with her hands.

"Come on, over here!" Carl slammed his crowbar along the chains.

"Look here! Look here!" Beth stabbed a walker through the eye and watched as it slumped to the ground.

"Hey ugly!" AJ called, jumping up and down while he waved his arms around.

"Come get some!" Ellie joined in, taking her knife and stabbing an undead man under the chin.

"Come on, come here!" Carol aimed before stabbing two with the same swing.