forty-two - by the campfire light

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO,
by the campfire light
————

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO,by the campfire light————

————

ELLIE WALKED WITH Maggie to Deanna's home. Reg allowed them inside, asking them to wait as he went to find his wife. The Rhee woman looked out the window at Father Gabriel.

"What is it?" The Dixon girl mumbled, glancing out at the man briefly.

"I heard him talking to Deanna. He said we were liars and killers and that she shouldn't have brought us in." Maggie disclosed with a harsh whisper. "Can you believe that?"

Ellie crossed her arms. "After everything..."

"Maggie, Ellie, hey." Reg jogged over to them. "She's out on the porch." The women were quick to follow behind him.

"What do you need to talk about, Maggie?" Deanna addressed the woman first.

"The meeting tonight." The Rhee woman stuck her hands into her jacket pockets as Ellie crossed her arms.

"Maggie, if we could talk about-" Reg tried.

"I wanna talk to everyone about what happened and what we need to do about it." Deanna cut him off quickly.

"If that means sending Rick packing, it's not gonna work." The Dixon girl shook her head absentmindedly.

"Tell me what that means." The Monroe woman demanded softly.

"You let Rick in. You let all of us in." Maggie jumped in. "You talked to us. You decided. And now you want to put that decision on a group of very frightened people who might not have the whole story. That's not leadership."

"Tonight is just a forum." Reg piped up again, trying to ease the tension. "It's just for people to say their piece."

"And I'll make the decision as I've done since the beginning." Deanna added in, staring at the women pointedly.

"He was frustrated. Jessie was getting beat up in your care." Ellie reminded. "The things he's seen and lost...The things all of us have lost."

"The things you've lost?" Deanna scoffed.

Ellie hesitated, a mean glare working it's way onto her face. "Yeah, the things we've lost. I had to cut open a friend to get Judith out, we watched as Maggie's father was beheaded, we had to stick tubes down Glenn's throat to help him breath through a sickness, all the while being sick ourselves, I almost got raped, and I had to watch my friend get torn apart by monsters because your guy lost his shit."