41: The Run Around

Whiskey POV

 "What is going on?" I asked, noticing Kayla at the flattop and Billy having a meltdown.

"We had some minor issues earlier, but we're good now," Kayla commented.

Lie. We will talk about lying later.

Jumping on the line with Kayla, we got the meat under control and started the seafood course. Billy worked on desserts and I noticed Gears was missing. I'm thankful Kayla is here to help, but it wasn't her job. She should enjoy tonight.

Gears is going to get a fucking earful from me as soon as I find him. He had one fucking job and instead my girl is back here in a beautiful dress, sweating, and helping when she shouldn't be.

We left Billy in a better spot and tried to enjoy the rest of the dinner. But as soon as we were out of the kitchen, Tiger pounced, and I knew why. Ace stared me down, pissed his wife wasn't in his arms relaxing, and I didn't blame him.

"What-"

"I'm sorry," Kayla blurted out. Tiger and I looked at her, confused. "I thought I could wait until after dinner, but turns out Whiskey is kind of addicting," she lied, and my eyes nearly popped out of my head at her suggestion.

Tiger relaxed and gave us a wink before returning to her new husband. Kayla followed behind as if nothing happened and I stared at her in amazement and went after her.

The Phoenix Riders know how to party, and tonight was no different. After Ace and Tiger had their first dance, they pulled everyone onto the dance floor and it got wild. Kayla glued her body to mine, moving against me, and I got drunk off of her touch and scent. The high slit allowed my hands to travel up her legs and learn she wasn't wearing anything underneath. Pulling her into me, I nipped at her ear and whispered, "Think you can waltz around here like that and not be punished? Think again, love." She shuddered against me and I knew I had her.

Around 11:30 p.m., everyone lined up and did a send off for Ace and Tiger. They were going to island hop for a few weeks while the rest of us will head back in the next few days. They ran through our sparkler tunnel and kissed at the end before heading off.

Some of us stayed and helped clean up our mess before calling it a night. Kayla and I walked hand-in-hand back to the villa and felt at peace. I want her to be mine and only mine. When we get back, I'll ask the guys who will take a vote, then claim her as mine alone. Kayla isn't interested in anyone else, but to verbalize what I want would be a first for me in a long time. Tonight, however, there would be no words, just actions, if she'd let me.

"Can we go sit on the beach for a bit?" she asked.

I kissed her head and headed towards the beach. I never understood why Ace and Killer both wanted houses by the ocean until I watched Tiger, and now Kayla, find peace with it. There is something calming about knowing the waves go out, but they always come back to the shore.

My phone rang in my pocket; it was Killer. Stepping away, I answered it.

"Hello?"

"We have an issue. I'm sending you and some guys back home. Be ready in thirty minutes," he stated.

"Understood."

Clearly, something happened and if I had to guess, the Devil's Disciples were back in town. I couldn't hide my concern, and Kayla noticed it, too. Tonight's plans would have to wait, and I knew she was disappointed.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, grabbing her hands. "I have to go home tonight, but I'll walk you back to the villa."

Walking Kayla to her room, she paused outside the door. "Thank you for tonight, Whiskey. I had fun and I know both Tiger and Ace thought it was perfect," she whispered.

"You're welcome, love. When you get back, I'll be more than ready for you. Enjoy your small vacation and don't leave the girls or the others. Stick with them," I urged. She agreed, and I pulled her into me, kissed her, and said goodnight.

Thirty minutes later myself, Hawk, Shotgun, Bear, Blade, Ginger, and Killer climbed onto a plane and left for home. Tiny, Gears, and Ice were going to get the girls home in three days and hopefully by then everything would be fine.

*****

"I don't understand. How can they be here and not be here at the same DAMN TIME!" Killer yelled, throwing half his desk across the room.

The last 24 hours were hell. The Devil's Disciples threatened us, but we did not know why. Everyone was accounted for, even those still in Europe, including Ace and Tiger, and now we're sitting ducks.

"Everything said they were here and coming with more," Hawk tried to reason. "Technically, they are here according to what I'm looking at, but-"

"I don't care about the fucking screen, Hawk! I care about what is in front of our faces, which is nothing!" Killer roared.

"I triple checked everything, and no one has tampered with our system. We're being fucked with and I don't know how," Hawk admitted.

"Either way, we're sitting ducks and you know how I feel about sitting," I added.

Everyone is on edge and sitting is the last thing we want to do, especially since the girls come home tomorrow. This would be Kayla's second lockdown, and I am not looking forward to telling her.

"This is sloppy, even for the Disciples. Are we sure this is them?" Shotgun asked.

We all looked at one another, unsure now, but they are the only enemies we have, and we don't have time for fishing expeditions.

"What if I try to contact the unknown number? Maybe it's them and they're willing to make a deal?" I ventured, hating the idea myself.

"I thought you couldn't contact-"

"That's the dumbest idea-"

"What the fuck do you mean-"

"ENOUGH!" Hawk shouted. "You're all getting nowhere. Now go away while I figure this out, which I cannot do with you all standing over me!"

Hawk usually keeps his composure, but when overwhelmed, he locks himself away until he has solved the problem. We all filed out, knowing everyone needed some space. Shotgun and I grabbed a beer and sat on the couch saying nothing, but my brain went into overdrive.

Yesterday, Shotgun and I drove around, stopping at the bar, tattoo shop, and diner, but no one had seen or heard anything about the Disciples. By the time we got back to the clubhouse, Hawk found two cellphones pinging out in the middle of nowhere, near the border of our territory. He sent Bear and a few others to check it out, but they came up empty.

The Disciples were supposedly upholding our agreement, but with them dodging our calls, I have a hard time believing them. They're fucking with us and it stops now.