21: Pushing the Boundary

Kayla POV

    Despite everything that had happened, and the warnings from the old ladies, I headed to work. My job is more than a job to me and I couldn't bail on Lily again and make her work alone.

    Not long after I had started my shift, two young guys, who I had seen at the clubhouse, pulled up to the diner but stayed outside. Normally, they would come in and eat, but they didn't, and something felt wrong.

    An hour later, Pop asked me to help with the dishes that piled up because the washer called out sick. I didn't mind helping and needed a break from being around people. But out front, Riders had taken the corner booth over. Lily said she already got their orders in, minus Whiskey's, so I headed over to ask.

    Before I reached Whiskey, I could tell something was wrong. From the moment the prospects pulled up to the diner, the feeling of fear and panic took hold of me, and it was written all over Whiskey's face. I asked him what he wanted to eat, but he clearly didn't hear me as he glanced over at me, checking me out. When his brown eyes met mine, the tension and fear faded from his body.

    Eventually, he placed his order, and I relayed Whiskey's message to Pop, who laughed and relayed his own message that I should not repeat. The lunch crow died out, and soon there were only a handful of tables, including the Riders.

    Whiskey made his way to the bar-top, sitting and in front of me. "Hey, you," he beamed, and I couldn't help but smile. "You didn't tell me you had a shift today," he pointed out.

    "Didn't know I had to," I retorted back.

    Whiskey let out a short laugh, "Fair enough."

    "Besides, I'm not a member and it's not like anything is going on, right?" I said, fishing for information. Whiskey suddenly was interested in the counter and said nothing. He was hiding something from me, and I don't like that.

    "Look, I know I'm not a member, but you can't send two prospects to watch me, have all of you show up, and tell me nothing is wrong. Especially with you looking scared. Just saying," I stated, walking away to help another table.

    I don't want to hurt Whiskey, but I don't appreciate being lied to, or being told he wants me but has to hide things from me. That's not how a relationship works, and it will never work if he continues to hide his emotions and intentions from me. I've never been in a relationship, but I've seen my fair share fail and I refuse to be one of them.

    *****

    Walking into the house, I noticed Killer sitting on the couch alone. It wasn't late, but I guess Tiger and Ace had gone to bed already. Taking off my shoes, I headed upstairs, but Killer walked over to me and I braced myself for whatever happened next.

    Leaning against the wall, he ran his hands over his face, exhausted. "Look, Kayla, you're not a member, and I know you know that, but I need your help. Whiskey has been getting texts from an unknown number since you got here. I'm not saying you know who it is, but I need information from you. Anything. I will not put my sister and my brothers in danger; it's my job to keep my family together and alive," he growled out.

I didn't know who was texting Whiskey. Why didn't he tell me? He knows I can handle it, and it wouldn't be the first time someone threatened me or my family. Then again, he didn't know that...

    Killer waited for me to answer him. The truth seemed like a cop-out, but I didn't have a choice.

"I didn't know someone was texting Whiskey, and I don't know who it is, honestly. The last time I saw the Disciples was two years ago and I haven't seen them since then. As far as keeping everyone safe, I will do whatever you need to make it happen. So, how can I help?" I asked, wanting to make sure I did my part.

He let out a deep breath and seemed hesitant to let me in on his life and plan. I finally spoke up, "I know you don't know me very well, but there isn't much I haven't seen, heard, or done in life and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. But I think you know that."

Still looking unsure, Killer told me about a meeting taking place in two days with the Disciples. He asked me to play bartender while they met, so that I could listen and identify members who I thought may be of importance or that I remembered.

He laid out the risks, making sure I understood I would be on my own if something were to happen. His brothers could not protect me. I am on my own, because I am not a member...but I want to be.

I didn't care about the risks. The Riders have become my family and a place where I can just be myself. They don't know everything about me, nor what they have done for me, so bar-tending was the least I could do for them.

After our talk, I headed to bed. Laying there my mind raced, wandering down the "what can go wrong?" at this meeting. For example, what if they recognized me? Why isn't Killer worried about that? I know how to make basic drinks, but not all of them. I don't expect them to order more than a beer, but what if they do?

For the next two hours, I Googled different drink recipes until I fell asleep.

The next day Lily asked me to come into the diner early, because Fridays are always busy. As I headed down the stairs, I found a large group of Riders spread out, working on something together.

Whiskey noticed me first as made his way over to me. "Good morning," he chirped. "Are you heading to work?" he asked, looking at my work outfit. I nodded yes, looking around, curious why they were all here. "We're having a last minute, 'make sure everything is perfect', wedding meeting. Totally normal, I promise," Whiskey said, reading my mind.

"I'm sorry I can't help today. But if there's anything you need, just let me know and I can try to help!" I said, grabbing my keys and heading for the door. But Killer stopped me.

"Two prospects will be at the diner with you today and before you ask yes," Killer bit out, "they are necessary." I simply nodded and headed to the diner for my shift.

As soon as I saw the full parking lot, I knew today would be a long and busy day, which I didn't mind. Since last night my brain hasn't shut off, so I welcomed the distraction of work and cranky customers.

Lily practically ran over me, nearly spilling two arm-fulls of plates, yelling "sorry" as she kept walking. Heading to the back, I dropped off my stuff and said hello to Pop before grabbing the iPad and picking any of the twenty tables that had menus in front of them.

*****

Four hours later, Lily, Pop, and I could breathe a bit. Not every table was full, and there wasn't a line out the door. Grabbing a rag, I wiped down and cleared off tables, getting ready for our next rush.

The bell rang above the door, signaling more customers had come in, and without looking up, I welcomed them in and told them to sit at any clean table.

Putting the tub of dishes in the back, I came back out and noticed the group who had just sat down. Devil's Disciples. Four Disciples, with no identifiable marker such as vests or tattoos,  sat at a booth, and the Rider prospects hadn't noticed. Why would they? They look like a group of regulars who are here to eat. Of course, Lily asked me to take their order.

Do I tell the prospects, or Whiskey? Hell, even Killer! Or...maybe this is a good thing. Everyone is supposed to meet tomorrow, but if I get information now, we may not have to meet at all.