Father Problems (Cana x Lucy)

This was requested on AO3 by Pup.

Geez, Cana x Lucy is more popular than I expected. Anyways, here's some angst. I'm happy to write this since I love angst.

Now, I want to make it clear that it's been a while since the last time I watched Fairy Tail. I haven't been able to get enough time to sit down and start watching it again, so I don't 100% remember Cana and Gildart's relationship.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucy walked into the guild, wanting to get a job request with her girlfriend. She made her way over to the job request board, quickly finding one that was requesting a couple of mages to find a specific book. The reward money was five-hundred-thousand jewel. She smiled down at the paper in her hands before turning around to look at the bar. She quickly spotted her brunette girlfriend sitting there, gulping down a barrel of alcohol.

The celestial wizard made her way over, getting the request approved by Mira. She then laid a hand on Cana's shoulder, asking when she looked up at her, "want to go on a job with me?"

She looked from the job request to her girlfriend, stopping when she noticed the card mage appeared to be upset. Lucy sat down on a stool next to Cana, laying the job request down. She asked, worry lacing her voice, "are you alright?"

Cana looked down at the bar, looking as though she was debating on if she should say what was bothering her. Lucy scooted closer, gripping her girlfriend's shoulder a bit tighter as she questioned, "what's wrong, Cana?" When she got no verbal answer, and instead her girlfriend turned her head away, the blonde pressed forward, concern rising from her gut, "you can tell me, you know that. What's wrong?"

She still got no answer. Lucy began to internally wonder what was going on with her girlfriend. Did something happen? Did someone do something? Did she do something? Did she say something? Lucy continued to question, her voice soft, sounding almost sad, "did I do, or say, something?"

She jumped slightly when Cana whipped her head around, questioning her back, "why would you think that?" Her brow was creased and her voice was soft. She seemed to be saddened by the mere suggestion that Lucy was responsible for making her upset.

Lucy looked away, answering, "you just...seem upset. I thought that maybe..." She trailed off, fearing that she was right.

She heard Cana quickly assure her, "no, no, Lucy, you didn't do anything."

Lucy looked up at the card mage, questioning once more, "then, what's wrong? Why are you upset?"

She watched as Cana looked around the guild, likely searching for any eavesdroppers. After not seeing anybody, the brunette took hold of Lucy's arm and dragged her to the guildhall's doors, muttering as they walked, "let's go to your apartment. I'll tell you there."

Lucy nodded, forgetting about the job request that had been left behind. Going on a job could wait, she had to help her girlfriend through whatever it was that she was going through.

"So, what's bothering you?"

Lucy closed the door behind them and crossed her arms over her chest, giving Cana a look that clearly told her that there was no room for arguments. She watched as Cana plopped onto her bed with a sigh, causing her to drop her arms and walk over to her girlfriend, sitting next to her before asking with a gentle tone, "what's wrong, dear?"

Cana was silent for a few moments. Lucy was about to ask once again, but was stopped before she could even start by her girlfriend's outburst, "it's my father!" She sounded almost angry.