Time After Time (Midnight x Lucy ft. Mira)

This was requested on AO3 by Pup.

The requester wanted this oneshot to be Christmas-themed and to feature the song "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. This was a last-minute addition, in case you're wondering. The requester also wanted this oneshot to be longer than most of the others. I tried my best to do that. They also wanted me to change the lyrics a bit to better fit the fic, so if the lyrics are different, then that is why.

So, here is a Christmas oneshot in October.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fairy Tail was lively this night. Decorations colored green, red, blue, white, and yellow were strung around the guildhall. The mages of the famous guild drank, laughed, and celebrated.

It was Christmas night.

All were as jolly as the folkloric Santa Claus. Mistletoe was hung at every possible place, courtesy of Mirajane. There were even guests from a few other guilds. Lyon sat with Gray and Juvia, chatting happily with them. Natsu and Sting were having an eggnog drinking contest while Yukino, Rogue, Rufus, and Lisanna watched with varied interest. Orga, Gajeel, and Levy sat near the stage, talking. Laxus and the Thunder Legion had finally moved away from the second floor and sat at the bar, deep in conversation with each other. Erza and Jellal sat with Wendy, Happy, and Carla. Sorano was with Meredy, watching as some Fairy Tail mages played darts. Cobra and Kinana were playing cards with Hibiki and Jenny. Sherry and Ren were cuddled together at their own table.

The only mage that wasn't having the time of their life was Lucy. The celestial wizard sat at the bar alone, her chin resting in her palm that was propped up on her elbow which rested on top of the bar. She stared down at her strawberry milkshake, uninterested in it. She gave an audible sigh as she contemplated leaving early.

There was one person missing. One person that she hadn't seen for nine months. Midnight. Since he joined Fairy Tail, he had been going on job after job in an attempt to make amends for all of the terrible things that he had done in the past. He was fighting dangerous monsters and helping people whom he had harmed years before.

Lucy and Midnight had gotten close over the time that he had been in Fairy Tail. They've gone on jobs together, lived together for a brief period, and even went on vacation together a few times. They simply got along surprisingly well. As time went on, it didn't take long for Lucy to fall in love.

Her heart clenched painfully as tears pricked the corners of her eyes. She swiftly wiped them away before she continued to drown in her thoughts about the former dark mage who had captured her heart. She missed him greatly. He had gone on long jobs before, but never this long. And worse, she wasn't able to contact him. He was on a dangerous job that kept him from keeping contact with her in any way.

Lucy turned around to look at the other mages in the guildhall. Her brown eyes caught sight of all of the happy couples. She then turned around and pushed her cold drink away, folding her arms on top of the bar before she dropped her head onto her arms. She was glad to see that her friends were happily in love, she wasn't bitter about the fact that they had something that she could only wish to have. Rather, she just wished that Midnight would return.

Before he left, he had assured her that he would return soon, but that was nine months ago. She wished that she could have at least told him how she felt, but when she tried, the words wouldn't come, her tongue had become suddenly heavy in her mouth. She sighed again and lifted her head, resting her chin on her arms.

She liked to think that Midnight felt the same way, but she wasn't quite sure. True, he mainly only spoke with her, but that didn't mean that he loved her the way that she loved him. Despite how close they had gotten, it was still difficult for her to read him. She could tell when he was happy, angry, and sad, but she couldn't tell what he was thinking.