The Cute Barista (Zeref x Lucy)

This was requested by Bellaboo097023.

Okay, ZerLu was actually what got me into Fairy Tail. Before actually watching the show, I had a general understanding of the show, but that was about it. Then, somehow, I came across some ZerLu fanfics and fell in love. It was what made me finally decide to watch the show. Though I have other Lucy ships that I love, and only three Lucy ships that I actually call my OTPs, ZerLu will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first Lucy ship, and I will never abandon it.

For this oneshot, I decided to go with a coffee shop AU because those are cute as hell and I love coffee shop AUs.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zeref sighed tiredly as he approached his favorite cafe, his hands buried in his pockets. He pushed the glass door open with his upper arm, causing a small bell to ring, and walked over to a chair at a small table that sat in the corner. He slipped his messenger bag off of his shoulder and sat it on top of the table.

He sat down with yet another tired sigh. He had been holed up in his apartment for a week now, only leaving to attend his college classes. Besides that, he's studying or working on a mountain of assignments. At this point, he's started to understand why Natsu decided to drop out last year.

He folded his arms on top of the table and rested his head on them. He wanted to sleep but needed to stay awake longer so he could work on an essay that was almost his entire grade. Zeref was on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion when he finally decided to emerge from his cave and get some caffeine into his system.

He pushed himself back up and walked up to the counter. He waited for one of the baristas to take his order. After about a minute of him staring at the overhead menu, a feminine voice got his attention, "hello, what would you like?"

Zeref looked at the woman, opening his mouth to order, but instantly stopped. His dark eyes widened and his mouth hung open once he saw the barista. She was incredibly cute. Her blonde hair that reached just past her shoulders was a golden color. So shiny and blonde that it was as though her hair was made out of sun rays. Part of her hair was tied into a short side ponytail, held by a black ribbon. Her large, doe eyes were a captivating chocolate brown that Zeref could easily get lost in. From what he could see of her body, just the upper half, he could tell that it was amazing, Large, round breasts, a nipped-in waist, and wide hips. Her skin looked really soft, making his fingers itch to touch her cheek and stroke the smooth softness of her skin. And then there's her smile. It was large and very beautiful. Perfect, straight, white teeth that could blind people.

To put it simply, she looked like an angel, and Zeref's brain just malfunctioned.

The young woman tilted her head slightly to the side in confusion, asking, "Sir, are you alright?" Her pretty face expressed slight worry and confusion.

Zeref mentally slapped himself, bringing himself out of his trance. He felt his face heat up from both embarrassment and from having come face-to-face with such a beautiful young woman. "I um...s-sorry. I'm fine."

The woman's face went back to its original smiling expression. She asked again, "what would you like?"

Zeref paused, knowing that he was still blushing due to the still-present heat on his face, before saying, "I'd like a venti chocolate cappuccino with four espresso shots, please."

The pretty blonde nodded as she entered his order. She looked back at him with a smile. "That'll be ten jewel. What is your name?"

Zeref handed over the money, answering her question, "Zeref."

The blonde accepted the money and then walked away to make his caffeinated drink. Zeref walked back to the table he had been sitting at. He watched the blonde woman work on his order.

He rested on his open palm, his arm propped up on the table that his elbow rested on. He looked as he was staring off into space as he watched her. A lovely, soft smile graced her lips as she worked diligently. It was obvious that she enjoyed her job, a rarity among those that work in customer service. She glanced at him, causing the college student to blush and look away. Upon looking back at her, he noticed a light blush adorning her already rosy cheeks, making them appear even rosier.

She looked back at him as she poured some milk into a venti cup. Just as Zeref was about to look away again, ashamed to have been caught for a second time, the cute barista gave him a kind smile as a blush reemerged on her face. She quickly returned her attention to the caffeinated drink she was making.

Zeref released a silent gasp at the reaction the young woman gave to his staring. Was she not creeped out? Did she find his sudden infatuation amusing or even adorable? Was she also interested in him? Zeref's brain began to fill with questions. He guessed it wouldn't hurt to ask her if she had any plans this weekend. Based on her reaction just now, she might be interested in hanging out with him. If he didn't get a girlfriend, then he at least might get a friend out of this.

He waited for the cute barista's lovely voice to call out his name before approaching the pick-up side of the long counter. He accepted the hot drink and was just about to begin his approach to asking the blonde out when she quickly walked away to take the order of another customer. Zeref was a bit saddened but quickly decided that he could wait until she was done with the new customer.

He walked back to his seat and sipped on his hot drink. Soon, his dark eyes noticed black writing on his rather large, foam cup. He raised his cup and took a closer look at the writing.

My name is Lucy, call me sometime.
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Zeref couldn't believe it. He hardly even talked to her and yet still got her number. He smiled at the beautifully written digits. Taking another sip of his drink, he grabbed his bag, stood up, and left the cafe, fully intending to give Lucy a call later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had decided to make this one short and sweet. I hope I accomplished that.

My update schedule:

April 25th: You Stood Up for Me? (Cobra x Lucy)
May 1st: Saving My Cosplayer (Bixlow x Lucy)
May 5th: I'll be Your Woman (Laxus x Lucy)
May 9th: Remember Me? (Sting x Lucy)
May 13th: Too Far, Minerva (Rogue x Lucy)
May 15th: Please, Forgive Me (Gajeel x Lucy)
May 19th: Unexpected Partner (Orga x Lucy)
May 23rd: When the Matchmaker Falls in Love (Mira x Lucy)
May 26th: The Bunny Babysitters (Levy x Lucy ft. Romeo)
May 30th: Bride Succubus Lucy (Vidaldus x Lucy)
June 3rd: Fairy Meets Dark Wizard (Zeref x Lucy)