The S-Class Job

You were on a job with Juvia and Gray.

You had insisted Plume on staying home. Which, she grudgingly agreed to. After all. This was an S-Class job. And Gray was insane to take it.

Yes. Stupid Gray.

"What do we need to do again?" You ask, shielding your eyes from the bright sun. Juvia panted alongside you, and happily accepted the water bottle you offered.

"Just capture the people that have been tormenting a poor town." Gray simply said, studying his map. "It should be here..." He stopped.

"B-but Gray...that's.." You trailed on, your eyes widening at the sight in-front of you.

There, in-front of you, was indeed a village. A village that was in the process of being burned, anyway. "Juvia!" You cry, pointing ahead.

She immediately understood, and her expression turned gloomy. Almost instantly, buckets of rain poured down from the skies.

"It's slowly working. Come on!" You urge them forward, jumping and running down the hill, making your way towards the village.

"Wa-!" You hear a surprised cry from Juvia.

You turn your head, and watch a small girl, fully dressed in Gothic clothes, appear in-front of Juvia.

In the girl's hands, she held a worn-out teddy bear. Her white, long hair tumbled down her shoulders, and her eyes blazed red.

"Hello~" She giggled. "Wanna play with me?" She asked, suddenly producing a scythe. "C'mon, let's play." She urged Juvia.

"Go, Juvia will take care of this." Juvia stated, her eyes never leaving the child.

You nod. "Gray!" But Gray already disappeared into the village. Soon, you caught up to him, watching him search the village for people.

"There's no one here." You stare at another empty house. "Keep searching!" Gray said, a pained expression on his face.

You urge yourself to keep going, trying not to slip on the now muddy wet ground. You flung open another door. "Oh!"

On the ground, sat a child. She was cowering under the table, flinching when she heard your voice.

"Hey..I'm not going to hurt you." You slowly approach her, your hand out. "My name is (Y/N)..What's yours?"

You keep talking to her in a soothing voice. Then, her head lifts, and she stares back at you with her tear-filled amber eyes.

She crawls out from under the table, and stand up. She seemed about 6 or 7 years old. Her bright red hair that reminded you of Erza, was tied in a high ponytail.

"I-i'm Mae. You're a good person?" She asked, cautiously. "Yes. But I'm afraid we need to keep moving. Tell me what happened as we look for others."

Her small hand clasped on-to yours, and you lead her away from the house. "The village was suddenly bombed by two bad people. They were both girls."

You flung open another door, with no success of finding anyone. "Mm-hmm?" You hum, urging Mae to continue.

"Suddenly, everything was on fire. Mama and papa..Why aren't they moving?!" She fought back tears.

"You can cry later, Mae. I promise." You squeeze her hand. "But for now, I need you to be strong."

She nods, wiping her tears away. "There's not many in our village. And I know many escaped."

"Good. Good." You encourage her, as you flung open, yet another door. No luck.

"Why're there so many empty huts if there's not many living here.." You mutter to yourself, finally sweeping Mae up in your arms, and hurrying off to another hut.